1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AIM wont let me load my Buddy List file

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Desai1664, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Desai1664

Desai1664 Thread Starter

AIM wont let me load my buddy list file which it used to automatically do. Ive been using AIM for a loooooooong time and this has never happened to me before it says requested settings have been loaded but then it says one or a few things couldnt be loaded and Im left with 'Offline 0/0' on my buddy list. If someone can help me itd be greatly appriciated :confused: thanx

~J~

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Did it say what things couldn't be loaded? Was there an error message?

Has it only happened tonight? (could be a temporary glitch)

3. Desai1664

Desai1664 Thread Starter

It says "The requested settings have been loaded.
    One or more of the additions or modifications to your Buddy List were not able to be saved." It only happened last night yes. I tried loading it on a different s/n and it doesnt work on it either. I tried adding a group to my buddy list and it doesnt work. Please help me!

~J~

4. Cheeseball81

Is the problem still happening today?

You could try uninstalling and reinstalling the program first and see if that helps.

Have you reported the bug to AIM?

5. Desai1664

Desai1664 Thread Starter

Yes, and Ive tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it tons of times. I even made a new buddy list and saved it and tried to load it it doesnt work! I just reported to AIM. :mad: :(

6. Cheeseball81

Just to rule this out...check the following:

Buddy Lists
    Q: Why can't I see my buddies in my Buddy List, even though they are online?
    A: You might not be able to see buddies in your Buddy List for several reasons:
    Make sure that the "Online" tab in the Buddy List window is the active tab.

If the number in parentheses next to a group indicates that there are buddies online, make sure that the group is expanded. For example, if it says "Friends (5/10)" but no names are listed, then the group is not expanded. To expand the group, click the arrow on the left of the group name so that the arrow points downward.
    Make sure that your buddies are not blocking you and that you are not blocking your buddies. If you block buddies or they block you, you cannot see them.
    If the buddies you can't see are using AOL, then they have enabled an option that allows you to send them instant messages but doesn't let you see them on your Buddy List. This feature is only available to AOL users. Ask the AOL users to go the Privacy Preferences in their AOL Buddy List, and choose one of the Allow or Block options that does not cause you to be blocked.

Q: How do I transfer my Buddy List from one computer to another?
    A: To transfer your Buddy List from one computer to another, perform the following steps:
    1. Select the File menu from the Buddy List window.
    2. Click Save Buddy List.
    3. Save your Buddy List to a file, and transfer it to your other computer by using a disk or by attaching it to an e-mail.
    To load the Buddy List file to your other computer, click the File menu, and select Load Buddy List.

I meant to also ask, are you signing on AIM with an exisiting AOL screen name?

7. Desai1664

Desai1664 Thread Starter

Yeah I checked the whole site out but nothing. No its not an AOL name.

8. Cheeseball81

I take it that it's not working tonight, huh? :(

9. Desai1664

Desai1664 Thread Starter

No dont worry about it thanx for your help I think I got it

10. Cheeseball81

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice