1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Air flow in computer case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rayi23, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rayi23

rayi23 Thread Starter

I have this older computer case meant for a Duron process but I have been trying to adapt it to this Palamino processer with a MSI motherboard. I cannot seem to get the air flow right. I have been reading about it. I keep getting the blue screen when I close the sides of of my computer case. I have a fan in the front, air coming in and a fan in the back, air going out. But that wasn't not enough , so I cut a hole in the side and put a 92mm fan there. I'm thinking of putting this larger 120mm fan and cut a bigger hole. I have the air going in on the sides but the case still seems to get hot, causing system instability. As long as I have the sides open, I don't have any blue screen and not any problems. I'm thinking maybe I should have the air flowing out on the sides. Any ideas?

2. erick295

erick295

As long as you have a good heatsink and fan (if you bought the retail CPU, the one that came with it should work fine), and it's properly seated on the CPU with a good thermal compound (preferably NOT the one that came with the CPU), you shouldn't be having any trouble with heat. Two fans should be enough, especially with a third in the PSU, assuming that your case has enough ventilation so that the fans can move air (it should have some kind of intake on the front). If the case has no front intake or it's sitting down in thick carpeting or something, that could be your problem, but I suspect this is something else entirely.

Heat buildup seems to be related to what's happening, but the fact that you're getting BSOD's doesn't mean it's getting too hot. You might have a bad memory module or even a bad CPU, and it's causing errors when it gets up to a certain operating temperature. If something like your CPU is actually overheating, the motherboard's temperature sensor should pick up on that and shut off the computer before things got to the point of BSOD's.

What do the BSOD's say?

3. WarC

WarC

Your motherboard's BIOS is more than likely to have a "Health Monitor" or "Temperature Monitor" section that will show you the processor temp, fan RPMs, and voltage levels/stability.

If you think the system is overheating, then this would be a good section to watch for awhile.

If your processor temps are exceeding ~55/60 degrees celsius while in this screen for a "couple" minutes (say, twenty minutes or so) with the case closed, then this would be a decent indication that your processor is overheating.

Given what info you've supplied so far, I would venture to guess that the CPU heatsink is improperly mounted and not sitting flush with the core, or there isn't enough thermal grease between the processor and heatsink.

Although, as Erick mentioned, your BSODs could be caused by a number of other issues...Most likely faulty RAM.

If the BSODs do go away when you take off the side of the case, though, then it is most likely a heat issue.

4. erick295

erick295

5. erick295

erick295

Oh, and also, just to clarify what I was saying a little... as long as you have no hardware problems, you shouldn't be getting BSOD's before the motherboard's shutdown temperature. Normal levels of heat can aggravate existing problems, though. That's just a guess... looking at the temps will clue you in a bit more.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/585934

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice