1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Air-flow problems....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wogster, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wogster

Wogster Thread Starter

To get to the problem right away... I currently have 2 fans in my CPU, 1 on the plastic side panel that blows in cool air, and 1 at the back that sends the hot air out. I'm planning on putting one\or two fans at the horizontal top of the case. The fan on the side of the case right now is very new and very strong, it is also got a wirling noise that's driving me batty.
    With the (lets say... two fans) at the top of the case... what's the best air-flow direction to have...?

Oh and by-the-way, my case sits under the desk in and open cradle... there's approximately 2-1/2 inches clearance to the under of the desk.

Should the 2 fans (side and back) blow in, and the 2 at the top blow hot air out or the other way around ?

Please help. Is a fan blowing in the case noisier then blowing out?

Wogster.

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

This is the recommended way of setting up fans. My machine is set up exactly this way other than I have an intake fan instead of just vents.

There are many other ways to set up airflow but this one is the most simple.

Attached Files:

3. Wogster

Wogster Thread Starter

I don't have the option of a front fan, or a vent. I would if I could, but can not!!! I think that's why they put the fan in the side pannel....

4. Wogster

Wogster Thread Starter

If I put the 2 at the top blowing fresh air in...that would give the power supply fresh air, as well as the processor, the side and back fans could blow hot air out of the case..... a hard drive fan could later be put in if needed.

Wogster.

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

As long as it is low and to the front it is fine. Is it hooked to a fan header on the motherboard or just plugged into the power supply?

If it is on a fan header you can control the speed with speedfan. If it isn't you'd need a fan controller to quiet it down.

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Top fans should exhaust for the simple reason heat rises. You'd be pushing heat back down into the case.

7. Wogster

Wogster Thread Starter

The fan on the side panel (the noisey one) is connected to the MB, what is Speedfan and how do I get it? I was thinking about a fan contyroller once the top 2 fans are in.

8. Wogster

Wogster Thread Starter

Do they have automated (digital) fan controllers, I don't know that much about them, but have heard of them recently. So the two at the top blow hot-air out, sounds logical.

9. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

10. 4steve44

4steve44

Here's how I cool my prescott. I replaced the original window with one I had bought and cut to size at Home Depot. :eek:

Attached Files:

11. 4steve44

4steve44

Can You post apic of your case? :confused:

12. 4steve44

4steve44

Hey Skivvywaver, I have seen that illustration before but if you don't have you cabling tied up it seems that the cables would so break up the airflow as to nullify it.

13. Wogster

Wogster Thread Starter

Wow... that's one big fan you've got on the side of your case... what size is that? I've never seen one that big. You also have a rear case fan. What direction do your fans go to move the air? all my cables are not wrapped just yet until I do all the runs that I need with the fans the the controller... I know it's a must for proper air-flow. I will get photo's of my case for you to see it soon....

Wogster.

14. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I believe a side panel fan works better blowing outward instead of inward, unless you have ducting to the heatsink. We had a case at work that didn't have a place for a front vent, so I took my dremel and cut a portion out of the bottom of the front bezel underneath the case so that it would have a place for airflow.

As far as the noise from the side fan, I'd advise you to put a fan controller on it so that you can vary it's speed. Also, a lot of people don't consider the power supply when regarding airflow in the case. A good power supply with either dual fans or a oversized 120mm fan makes alot of difference in case temps.

If the reason your questioning the airflow in the case is cpu temps, then you might want to change the heatsink instead of casefans. Most people look at case fans first, but if the case has reasonable airflow, a quality heatsink applied correctly will normally make more difference in cpu temps.

15. 4steve44

4steve44

That's a 120mm intake over the CPU and a 120mm exhaust out the back. They are both Antec Quiet fans

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327546

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice