1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Air Flow Suggestions for New Case Mod?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LJC UK, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LJC UK

LJC UK Thread Starter

Hi all,

I've decided to mod my case instead of buying a new one as i prefer the custom look :p

Was just wondering if anyone had any good suggestion of Fan positioning
    for a good Air Flow in the case.... heres a few pics of what i've done so far

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Firstly thats the skeleton of my case just so you can see the lay out.

I've cut the hole in the top of the case to allow easy ventilation for hot air, it will eventually be covered with a thin sheet of mesh but i'm not sure whether or not to attached a fan to it to help extract the air as it might desterb the airflow?

My other dilemma is whether to add either 2 fans at the front bottom end of both side panels and use ducts to point the air intake in the right direction or move my front usb's and side mount them and replace them with a front air duct to a front mounted fan.... these images might help you get an idea...

Front:
    [​IMG]

Side Panel opposite MB (other side panel will be the same minus the extra CPU fan) :
    [​IMG]

Note: The extra CPU intake will have a duct guiding it straight to the CPU so to not disturb the air flow

Thanks in advance for any Input :)

2. BG-0

BG-0

I would vote for a dense mesh on top of the fan. (fan a bit inside from the hole, then over it, under the handle, the mesh) Yet, the hole is in quite an awkward place, the fan can easily just mess up the airflow and cause more harm than any good... I would recommend a mildly blowing intake fan. Even then, the back doesn't have nearly as much room for output fans as it should... Or then you could attach a faster fan to output from the top, and... Err. Forget it.
    Cut the 4-hole formation above the front panel out to make room for a 120/140+ mm fan? If you don't necessarily need a floppy drive. (even then you could just adapt it to a 5.25" drive mount. Or is that black whatever in the case body itself used for something so the fan can't be there?

3. LJC UK

LJC UK Thread Starter

Lol i was just sitting here looking at the back thinkin..... how the hell can i make room for a bigger fan,with the hole at the top i was thinking on having the fan on the inside of the case as theres a bit of room... mayb a tight sqeeze between the PSU & my top Dvd draw but it will fit lol

As for the floppy drive i dont even have one now lol... but i have one Dvd draw & a 5.25" media reader just under that..... and plan to get a blu ray player but i'm not sure about that yet....

Face:
    [​IMG]

If i just stuck to a Dvd draw & media reader that would allow me to get rid of the hole lower HDD/floppy holder bracket and just as you said use a adapter to fit both my Hardrives in the 2 left over 5.25" bays

I think i might go for a positive air flow if i can sort out a decent size rear exhaust fan... so all intake fans will be filtered too

4. BG-0

BG-0

The hard drive won't hurt you being in front of an intake fan, that's a very common solution in factory-built cases too. No need to hassle with that, really. If you really want to, get an external media reader (like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=kingston_card_reader-_-20-134-753-_-Product ), free up the space for more essential things. Even an external DVD-drive could be smart... (or be really cool, mount one or both HDDs into a self-made little case on the side of the case and route the cables through a little hole in the case wall :D Be sure to get good cooling there, maybe a 80mm case fan or something like that)

5. LJC UK

LJC UK Thread Starter

If u look at the first pic the bottom Hard Drive Bracket will ristrict the size of the fan i could have on the front so if i remove that then i can go bigger :D

I'd pefer to keep everything internal (thanks for the Ideas though)..... i had a few external media reader and i either always miss place them or some one whips it away without telling me lol... this way they cant :p

I thought about the rear fan and there could be another problem of suffocating my PSU....

So i thought this might be an option, let me no what you think......

I could go with your idea of the exhaust fan mounted at the top hole and use a big maybe 120mm Fan at the front for intake, a 80.. maybe 90mm fan at the rear also for intake.... that way the front fan will circulate the air around the bottom of the case then the rear fan will carry on circulating fresh air into the case as it rises to then finally be extracted by the top fan

6. BG-0

BG-0

The rear fan will have pretty little actual benefit to the cooling as the PSU will suck pretty much of the air it takes in, but not really a problem... Make sure the PSU's output air will not mix and get directly carried back inside the case from the rear fan though.
    Also, the bottom of the case will get pretty neglected by the air circulation, again, not a problem as you have a low-end graphics card, but if you upgrade, be sure to get one with a "barrel" cooler (sealed plastic shroud with a fan sucking air in and output through a grill in the back, and again, don't let that air mix and into the rear intake... You'll need to "mod" the surroundings of the case pretty hard at this point :D)
    Now that you'll have the top as an output, you could have a pretty loose mesh there, but if you leave the PC off for a long period of time, cover the top with something to prevent dust from falling down through the opening into the case.

I'm really curious about the front though... Is there absolutely no space for a fan between the front mask and the HDD cage if you cut the metal? 15mm fan instead of a regular 25 even?

7. LJC UK

LJC UK Thread Starter

As it stands the space between the bottom & the HDD Cage is roughly 100mm at them moment, if i cut it to the line illustrated in this pic these roughly a 140-150mm gap

[​IMG]

As for the space between the front of the HDD Cage & the Face hopefully you might be able to make it out between these pics lol

[​IMG]

That said, there is another part to go ontop of the face you see in this picture, the one that i posted earlier.... i dont actually have that to hand but i might be able to cut throught the plastic in that picture & the case metal to fit the fan

Hmmmm.... lol

PS: there is a 20mm clearing between the face (asin the plastic) & the HDD Cage... just managed to measure it (y)

8. BG-0

BG-0

9. LJC UK

LJC UK Thread Starter

Thanks for the Link :)

Only problem is i live in the UK :(

But i've been looking about at case fans that i can get hold of over here, i havent been able to find a 20mm or less fan though.... but i have found these:

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2574.html

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2533.html

Also i might have a solution to the airflow at the bottom back end of the case, if you look at the first pic there are a few vent holes running down along side of the PCI bays....

Do you think it may be worth it to mount say... 3 little 40mm intake (or as big as o can get) down along side the PCI's just to stop there from being any stale air?

10. BG-0

BG-0

Haven't... Found any *x*x20mm fans? You just linked one. :O
    40mm fans, not worth it. Whiney and barely move air at all. If you know how many expansion cards you'll have at max, you could utilize some of the expansion slots to accommodate an extra fan, 80, 92 or even 120, I don't know which would fit in the end.

11. LJC UK

LJC UK Thread Starter

Lol i searched for 20mm fans on that site and only one fan came up and it wasnt that one, just assumed it was 25mm... my bad

Do you think i would it would help if they where High CFM fans?

I think i could defo fit the little fans along side the PCI slots but i'm planning on getting a new Radeon 5xxx and maybe Crossfiring at a later date so dont really want to put a larger fan there

12. BG-0

BG-0

Hmm. I still am against the idea of farming tiny fans in there... Make another side fan mount to the side panel on the low-bottom corner?

About high CFM, that's a very relative term. 3500 RPM 40mm fans move about one fourth of the amount of air a 1200 RPM 120mm fan does, producing 20 dBA more noise, being 250-fold more annoying sounding...

13. LJC UK

LJC UK Thread Starter

Hmmm.... i might look into puttin another side mounted fan and offer it up to see how it might look.

If i could get hold of a really thin fan then i might think bout mounting it at the bottom rear end of the case

Thanks for your help on this BG-0 helps going through ideas and smoothing out the kinks lol :)

I'll post up a pic of the other possible side mount and let you no what i think, as for now..... thats enough thinking for one day :p

PS: For the High CFM fans i'm thinking it might be better to have one as the exhaust or atleast have the exhaust fan with a slightly higher CFM to make sure its pulling the air out

14. LJC UK

LJC UK Thread Starter

Think i'm guna go for this... let me no what you think:

Rough Diagram:
    [​IMG]

15. BG-0

BG-0

Mmm. Sounds pretty good. The streamliner/whatever 140mm fan in front, decently silent and decently efficient 80mm to the side, pretty strong 120 to the top... (or 140mm? If you can fit that?) PSU will output some too, so the pressure should be pretty good...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/862912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice