1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Air thermostat

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by gurky, Dec 4, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. gurky

gurky Thread Starter

I'd like to build an air thermostat to control the temperature inside a box, for
    making yoghurt and/or growing chili. What is the cheapest way to do this? Or
    are there any reasonably priced ones on the market?
    I envisage a light bulb for warming, a temperature sensor and a simple control
    circuit that controls a relay that switches the lamp on and off as required.

2. Sponsor

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

Residential heating thermostats are available for AC mains operation. The link below is for simple mechanical model that can control temperatures up to 90 Deg F. The temperature setting is approximate and the actual air temperature may vary by a few degrees as it cycles on and off. You might want to consider adding a small fan to circulate the air. You must only undertake such a project if are familiar with electrical wiring and assemble it for safe operation as far as fire and electric shock risks are concerned.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Premium-Baseboard-Thermostat-YCT410B1000/dp/B000TKFQF0

Drabdr likes this.
  4. gurky

gurky Thread Starter

Thanks. However, apart from wanting to grow chilies in a box, for which this
    would be fine, I also want to use it to make yoghurt, for which I need 110 F.
    The gadget unfortunately only goes to 90 F.
    I am indeed familiar with soldering electric circuits, so a DIY would be fine.
    Where do I search?

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

6. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1200565