1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Aircards and Tablets

Discussion in 'Archive: Phones & Handheld Devices' started by smeegle, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smeegle

smeegle Thread Starter

Recently I posted a question about buying a tablet that would allow me to receive streaming music programs such as Napster or Rhapsody. I've talked to several people at work since then and one of them suggested using an aircard.
    What is an aircard and how would I connect it to a tablet and what type of tablet would be good for this:confused: I looked up aircards and tablets on google and I see a lot of offers but nothing to explain to me what I would be getting. Sorry to ramble on like this. Please respond if you can make since of my question. Thanks.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

They're probably talking about mobile wifi hotspots. Where in the world do you live? What wireless broadband providers are available? See what options they have for mobile wifi hotspots. You may have to sign a 2-year contract at about $40-$50 per month for a limited amount of data. If you're streaming music, you'll blow through that pretty quick.

Or you could buy an iPad or Android tablet (only the top-of-the-line models) with a 3G plan that will also cost about the same per month and a contract.

You don't have wifi where you plan to use this tablet?

3. smeegle

smeegle Thread Starter

I wanted to use the tablet at work. Instead of waiting to hear a song I liked on the regular radioI would use this. So no I don't have wifi here.
    Would an ipad or android tablet serve the same purpose? Would I have to have wifi to make them work?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Pandora doesn't allow you to stream specific songs on demand. You create a station based on a group of artists or genres, and the service selects songs for you.

You need an internet connection to stream from any service, so if you don't have wifi, you'll have to pay for some type of mobile wireless. Only the iPad and a couple of high-end Android tablets have built-in 3G. Otherwise you have to pay for a separate wireless broadband service.

If you live in the US, it's going to be expensive and limited.

5. smeegle

smeegle Thread Starter

I live in the southeastern part of the US. I have googled again and they certainly are expensive. Thank you for clearing this up for me, DoubleHelix

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You're looking at a $50 / month bill for 2GB of data which isn't enough to stream every day all day at work, and you have to sign a 2 year contract.

You might want to learn to like the local radio station instead.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice