1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Airport Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by asanders, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asanders

asanders Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I have a rather complex situation that requires (I think) a complex solution that I have not yet worked out!

I have the following:
    - ADSL internet connection
    - TP-Link TD-W8960N 300Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router
    - Brand new Airport extreme (n)
    - Four brand airport expresses (n)
    - 24 port 3com switch.

My requirements are:
    - A contained, protected, office network with wi-fi with access, and also access for wired clients via the 24 port switch.
    - A "guest" network with only internet access which needs to be spread throughout a large, old building (thick stone walls!), but cabling is not possible.

My inital thought was to use the TP-Link as only a modem and run the network via the extreme. Plug the switch into the extreme which would also run the office wi-fi and then extend the guest network (nice extra option in the extreme!) thoughout the building with the expresses. Problem is that you cannot extend the guest network with either n or g. I cannot just reverse these two networks because I need wired access to the office network.

The current system has the extreme running only the office network (wi-fi + wired) as a "double NAT" inside the "mother network" which is DHCPed by the TP-LINK with its wireless on (pretty good range). I set the expresses to extend the TP-Link's wireless by old fashioned WDS which I got working but it was incredibly slow just because that is what g WDS is like. I am not using the n capacity of the expresses.

I thought about using the TP-Link DHCP and wi-fi to run the office network and then I can use the extreme and the "extend my network" n option for better speeds around the building, but then the office network would be open to the guest network.

Any ideas of how I can get the most out of my equipment?

Adam Sanders

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024967

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice