1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Alert Beeps

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by justthatguy, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. justthatguy

justthatguy Thread Starter

I have no idea when this problem started, but I have just ignored it since I was never at my laptop very much. However, lately I started using it more and every few minutes there is an alert beep...high tone to low tone. It comes out of the speakers, which makes movie watching pretty annoying.
    I have read some similar problems, but I never got a full answer so I was just wondering if anybody knew what was really going on.

2. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    That is a CMOS error. Look in your bios setup. Reset it to the defaults, if nothing else. But do not ignore it!

3. justthatguy

Well, I've never even heard of CMOS and I don't really know how to do anything with my bios.
    Any help on that one?

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Consult your laptop manual to see which key to press during bootup to reach the BIOS. On my desktop, it is the DEL key.

5. justthatguy

I got to the BIOS setup but didn't know what to change, so I just clicked the setup default. No changes have occurred and beeping is still going on.

6. davehc

First Name:
    David
    Ok. Then you need to test the memory. Look in the "Boot" directory and run the "memtest.exe"

7. justthatguy

Error message saying memtest.exe cannot be run in Win32 mode...I don't know why/how I am in Win32 mode.

8. davehc

First Name:
    David
  9. justthatguy

Thanks. However, I tried MemTest86 and also got the windows version to run, but both said no errors...Any other thing I could check?

10. davehc

First Name:
    David
    A member may have another idea, but there is only one other source that I know of, for this symptom. CPU heat. As it is happening on startup, then, at that stage, there is obviously no overheating taking place. But. Can you here if the CPU fan is running, during use? Perhaps you can even have visual access through the ventilation slote on the bottom of the laptop.
    It is difficult to diagnose this, but your CPU fan should run periodically. If you can access the CPU, by removing one of the panels on the bottom, that would be ideal
    I am sorry, but at this stage, that is about my last offer. If another member has an idea, perhaps he could step in?

11. justthatguy

I got the computer to quit beeping. I took the battery out and just have it plugged in and it hasn't beeped since I've done that. I take this to mean that something is wrong with the battery.

12. davehc

First Name:
    David
    Can't respond much on that, but it is interesting. I do not have any "alert" beeps for batteries in my Laptops. Could that be something you can adjust in the Bios?
    Otherwise, you should have a battery/power icon showing on the taskbar in the notification area. Might be an idea to click in there and see how much battery charge you have

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice