1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ALERT: New HP Computers Incompatible with New HP Printers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

HP buyers beware.

I thought the HP repair center was blowing smoke; but, it appears many new HP USB printers are actually incompatible with new HP computers.

A customer, for whom I had purchased and set up a new HP Pavilion a820n last February, called about two weeks ago and wanted me to bring and set up a new HP printer. Setup gave an "ERROR_INSTALL_FAILED" message about half way through. The latest downloaded driver gave the same error.

After two weeks of wrangling with the HP authorized repair center, they finally told me that there was supposed to be a patch for this problem; but, they could not find it.

I can't find it either.

Being the inquisitive sort, I installed the driver, without incident, on two laptops and three desktops, all of different makes (but none HP). I went back to Staples, where I had purchased the computer and printer. Asking the manager's assistance, we attempted installing the same driver on three HP computers, each one a different model and each one failing with the identical error as above.

According to the local HP service center, this is a new but already well-known problem with HP products and they haven't found this (vaporware) patch yet.

2. Alex Ethridge

By the way, if anyone knows where I can find this elusive patch, I sure would like to know.

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I feel your pain. HP is screwy and that is being nice. If you can't find the patch on hp.com and HP's tech support can't tell you where to get it I think it is a lost cause.

I'll bet it has something to do with some of the crapware they load on the new HPs. I very seriously doubt it is a hardware problem. Have you ever run adaware and spybot on a new HP?? It is rediculous.

4. Alex Ethridge

I'll be doing a system restore on that system again tomorrow. I'll run Spybot and AdAware and see what I find.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/355068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice