ALFA USB Highpower Adapter Code 10 driver error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bluebeam

I purchased an ALFA AWUS036H USB Highpower Adapter for a Dell Inspiron 546 with VISTA Home Premium. I had purchase this item before for a self build with VISTA Ultimate and no problems installing.

I have tried to install this product five times now uninstalling after each failure. I am getting a Code 10 device error then another message about not for this platform. The product does say it works with VISTA and those are the drivers I installed.

The manual that came on the CD is pretty much useless as instructions for installing on XP. I went out to www.alfa.com.tw and nothing there either that helps. Did have the driver listed as version 6.1281, but nothing specified as to which platform. I sent them an email but no response yet.

I will add after I install the drivers the instructions are to plug in the adapter, which I do. I then should get the Add Hardware window, which happened once, but VISTA's continue permissions got me screwed up. I when and disabled that nightmare and uninstalled and tried again. I also tried going out to Add Hardware manually and run it thru that way selecting Realtek Semi and the Realtek RTL8187 (not from the disk) driver and continued on, but again I get Code 10 device error and at the Finish not for this platform. Is it possible the VISTA drivers won't work with Home Premium or did I screw up someplace?

Input appreciated.

Bluebeam

Turns out the Code 10 driver error means the wrong driver. I did go out the the ALFA site to
download the most current Vista driver.
http://dplanet.biz/alfa.com/product_info.php?products_id=377

Big help that was I got a 0KB file that PK Zip couldn't open. Tried again same results. Lucky for me and for no other reason I had purchased the same adapter for another computer for my son and it had worked fine when I installed the drivers. The light bulb when on and I used the CD from that purchase and had no problem installing this time. Looking at the two CDs they are different the one that didn't work is a light gray and the one that works is blue and white. Perhaps, I could have found the correct drivers at another site, but happy I had the other CD handy.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online