1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Ali) Gator:

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by referee07, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Does anyone know how to stop spyware like Gator from infesting my computer? I have Adaware 6, Spybot, Spyblocker and Pest Patrol and spyware like this continues to get in. Thanks in advance.

2. EvileYe

EvileYe

Go into your Internet options via the control panel and select the security tab then custom, make sure you have it set to prompt you to download signed active x controls Only Download them if you know what they are ! And disabled for unsigned active x controls.

3. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Evile-Ye, I checked and this had

4. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

(Sorry) Evile-Ye, I checked and this had already been done.

5. $teve

$teve

6. EvileYe

EvileYe

Like $teve said.

Also as per your other post I have read that WeatherBug sometimes comes loaded with Gator, whether this is true or not I don't know

7. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Thanks. Before when I had Weatherbug, I had several Gator infestations. It makes me mad to think I paid for Weatherbug and then they (Weatherbug) infested my computer with adware and maybe spyware! There are laws against "Peeping Toms" but software manufacturers are able to spy on us without our permission and there are no laws to stop them.

:mad:

8. $teve

$teve

Absolutely............... take Weatherbug off your system!!!

9. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Get a load of this:

Dear Carl
    Thank you for your inquiry. In response to your question, WeatherBug is not spyware. We do not track websurfing habits or 'spy' on our user base. WeatherBug is incapable of tracking your overall web use or deciphering anything on your hard drive, nor can it determine what you were doing before you opened your WeatherBug program or after you closed it. Any software program that is implying or reporting that WeatherBug is 'spyware', or "data-miner" is incorrect.

In addition, any optional software that is offered with WeatherBug is spyware free as well.

WeatherBug and its parent company, AWS, own the world's largest weather network. We take pride in providing critical weather information & life-saving weather alerts to millions of consumers, thousands of schools, dozens of major businesses, over one hundred televisi! on stations and the Department of Homeland Security as a member of the Homeland Security Initiative. We would never do anything, such as engaging in spyware techniques, to compromise our product, business or brand.

We would appreciate any additional information you can provide us with if incorrect information is being reported, so we may address it immediately.

If you have any other questions regarding this case, please reply using this email.

Sincerely,
    Wyatt Jones
    WeatherBug Customer Support

I had sent a message to Weatherbug advising them that I had heard that Weatherbug is covert spyware/adware and this is the responce I got from their Customer Service.

10. EvileYe

EvileYe

I wonder what the Department of Homeland Security like to do in their spare time ???

11. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

12. winchester73

winchester73

Carl ...

I just got an e-mail from you ... DCHSRA ...

13. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Sorry. Somehow your address got in with the email addesses for these soccer refs.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168526

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice