1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Aliens vs Predator problem...

Discussion in 'Games' started by mcseguy9, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

S3 Trio 64v+ (PCI)
    450 AMD
    256 ram
    Win 98

Installed fine, when I tried to play the game it got through the video sequence and then it kicks me out. I tried setting all the video options at lower levels (because my card kind of sucks), and that didn't work. When I go to the in game resolution setting, it offers me only two choices, the first is 0x0x0, and the second is this
    E
    17668x18182x24325

which obviously doesn't work. My card does fulfill the direct 3d compatiblity requirement, but it is not 3d accelerated. It has 2 mb of memory. So the problem is that the game will not recognize my video card, and then perhaps that my video card doesn't have enough memory (which obviously i can't do anything about). I would really appreciate any help that can be given.
    This is what i have tried so far (from various technical support sites):

1) Setting the desktop resolution to 800x600 or 640x480, which is supposed to help the game recognize my video card, obviously this didn't work.

2) I ran the Direct3D test to make sure that that was working.

3) I have DirectX 7.0 (I believe, I installed whatever AVP Gold comes with, i believe it was 7.0), so I have not looked for a newer version because it didn't seem necessary.

4) One site siad that certain video cards usually cannot play AVP, and it said to fix this to open ffinfo.txt (Aliens versus predator/fastfile/), and delete the graphics\FMVs; Tex26.FFL line.
    So, that is what I have tried and none of it worked.

2. RubberMonkey

RubberMonkey

i used to have aliens Vs predetor and i had a VooDoo 3 3000 video card, i think, but it still didnt work correctly. at the time that was a pretty new card. If the rest of your system meets the requirements for the game then you will probably need a new video card because it is a very picky game when it comes to video cards and it only works with certain ones. are you shure you have enough memory and free disk space ect. Try uninstalling the game make shure everything is gone and then reinstall becuase in my experience with that game it dosent always install correctly the first time. I cant think of anything else to try, a new video card is only a last resort and still might not fix the problem, unless you want to upgrade anyway.
    good luck

3. ian.t

ian.t

I take it your AMD system does not incorporate '3D-Now' and has no onboard graphics chip ?

In which case, you may struggle with your present video card as it only has 2Mb of memory. It may be that the game is also incompatible with certain video cards such as the S3 Trio but there's usually a patch out there somewhere to resolve the issue.

Like the previous thread states it does not always install properly first time (or second for that matter) so perhaps un/installing it again is your only option.

Good luck !

ian.t

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65857

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice