1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Alienware area 51 help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 360john360, Sep 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 360john360

360john360 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have my nephews computer which is an Alienware area 51, he said he kicked his computer during a game of Fortnite, after that happened the computer shut down and would not turn back on.

I have since taken it into my workshop and plugged an external power outlet into the computer. The computer than made a loud pop sound with no smell or smoke. I have not tried an awful lot as I think its the PSU or a capacitor overloading.

Any suggestions would be ideal before I completely rip the machine apart to inspect each element.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I must be missing something - how did you connect an external power outlet to the computer
    do you actually mean - you connected a psu the mainboard

3. 360john360

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I tried plugging in a new power cable.

4. Macboatmaster

Can you be a little more specific
    Do you mean you simply connected a different AC supply cable from the mains AC supply to the computer
    May I presume that both you and your nephew are on the same 240V or 110v supply

5. 360john360

We are both on the same supply.

6. Macboatmaster

I now presume that - after the presumably rather stupid kick of the computer, and it would then not turn on, some form of electrical short has taken out the fuse on the original power lead
    After you then tried the different power lead and power was temporarily restored to the PSU the original problem has now caused some other failure - again I would think within the PSU

It is well nigh I impossible to offer any really useful explanation of what may have occurred.
    The only way forward is to dismantle the case, and start with a visual inspection of the various parts - motherboard - psu - graphic card looking for obvious signs of damage - discoluration, clearly burnt components etc.

Having had a look at the design of the Area 51 I would not like to take on the job and IMHO his kick has very possibly rendered the computer beyond economic repair.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216041

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice