1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Alienware laptop DEAD, will not turn on!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FortHoodTX, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FortHoodTX

FortHoodTX Thread Starter

Hello, folks. I have an Alienware m15x laptop, a couple years old. Machine will not power on, completely dead, no sign of life. It was perfectly *fine* a few days ago. I bring it back home, and now this.

Originally, the battery was dead. Was running solely off AC power. I put Windows 7 on it and bought a new OEM battery. I got "Plugged in, not charging", so the battery was stuck at 48% because it wouldn't charge. (I think this is a Win7 bug, not a hardware bug. I have the same problem on my Dell XPS laptop.)

Anyway, when you turn off an Alienware machine, the alien stays glowing, even though it has shut down. Seems like some sort of sleep mode, since the alien changes colour and glows. They're LEDs so they don't take a lot of power, but some. Hence, the laptop sitting there COULD, theoretically, have run that battery down from 48% to 0% in a couple days. However, I press the 'test' button on the battery, I get 3 LEDs... so the battery seems half-charged.

Not sure if that's related. Now it won't power on... not with AC power, not with battery power. I did the trick of holding the power button for 60 sec... didn't work. I replaced the CMOS battery earlier today. Didn't work, still dead.

Any explanation? Tips? Anything to try? This was so random... worked perfectly fine (other than the battery issue), now completely flatlining. Please submit your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026618

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice