1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Alienware m11x laptop Blue Screen Death

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RyanKing, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RyanKing

RyanKing Thread Starter

I have had the laptop for no more than 2 years. Computer will not allow me to start in safe mode. Also I ran diagnostics on the computer and the error code 2000-0146 came up. It says their is a problem with the hard drive I believe. Is there any way I can still recovery my music and pictures before recovering my hard drive.

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Unfortunately if its a hard drive problem thats where your files are stored on your computer so thats where your music and pictures will be. What you may want to do is get a drive enclosure and hook up your hard drive into it and see if you can hook it up to another computer and see if it has a valid file system to back up the data such as the pictures and the music before you work on it any further.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

In addition to the above, another way is to boot the system with a linux live CD or flash drive. You may be able to access the hard disk and copy whatever you want. There are a LOT of linux distros to choose from however I use parted magic for all kinds of drive tasks.
    http://partedmagic.com/doku.php
    This is just one of the many reasons why we stress backups SO much. With an image backup of your system, it is a very simple procedure to install a new drive and restore the image. Done in <30min.

Data you do not backup is data you do not care about. ALL drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail.

4. RyanKing

RyanKing Thread Starter

Will the back up only work with a linux because I have a kingston 16gb flash drive. Also do you guys recommend any drive enclosures becuase I was thinking of getting vantec nextar TX since I have a SATA 2 hard drive.

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Basically the bootable linux drve is good if your 16gb drive can hold all of the data you want to retain. As for the files being able to be seen outside of linux if your just copying files off to the USB stick it should be readable by any OS that can read the fiel system of the USB drive. Basically if your pictures are jpg's on your drive and you boot to linux and then you copy the jpg to the USB drive then use the USB drivei n the windows device it will still see them as jpgs. The ony caveat to this is if your file system on the hard drive your trying to get the information form is dead. If your having file system problems you may have corrupted files and thus not beable to be readable by anything.

As far as the enclosures go their pretty much a dime a dozen. If your planning to use it long time then you may want to get a bit mor picky but the main things to look at for drive enclosures is the drive enclosure speed is the max speed the drive works at. and the USB connector speed is the max speed of your USB device your plugging it into.In this case most would be Sata 2 and USB 2.0

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1073711

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice