Solved Alienware steam machine problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Daa805

I just got a steam machine i7 and when I turn it on it just stays on the alienware title screen. I don’t know much about computers or anything. I’ve tried things from the internet and youtube that would fix it but none if then worked. I’ve spent like 6 hours today trying to fix this with no luck. Any help? Thankyou

Paul23

Paul
Temporarily Banned
Yes. You certainly can. Use the media creation tool. (remember you must have a valid Windows 10 key code to activate Windows) Remember: (you will need a flash drive with at least 8 gb in size) https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Also, you will need to use the new Windows 10 copy on USB to boot up to and go to the troubleshooting screen then select command prompt and type in these commands: (this will get rid of the Linux bootloader)
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bcdedit /export C:\bcdbackup
attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec /rebuildbcd

You will need to do this before installing Windows 10

Daa805

Ok thankyou and do I have to do this off of a windows computer or will an apple work?

Paul23

Paul
Temporarily Banned
The media creation tool for creating a Windows 10 usb flash drive, as far as I know, will work by doing it with another Windows computer. Have no idea about Apple. The other commands I sent you need to be entered on the computer you are now using that has the SteamOS on it, to get rid of the linux bootloader, otherwise, every time you boot your computer up, the linux bootloader will prompt you to choose an operating system.

Please do NOT format and install windows yet- its not straightforward for a beginner, and if it goes wrong can give you all sorts of problems.

You said thart you just got the computer- was it from a shop or online seller? If so, you should go back to them and get the problem rectified. From your post it sounds likethis has never booted properly, is that the case? If so , then warranty will cover it. If you choose to format and reinstall after that its your choive, but if things go wrong then any seller will be entitled to refuse to make things work if the original OS isnt on there.

Daa805

I bought it in person from someone on letgo. He said it worked but he hadn’t used it in a few months.

Paul23

Paul
Temporarily Banned
Installing SteamOS is not as easy as installing Windows 10. It is quite a bit more involved. Are you going to install Windows 10?

Paul23

Paul
Temporarily Banned
Ok. Hopefully you followed the instructions above... go to command prompt at bootup and type : bootrec.exe /fixmbr (hit enter) then reboot.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.