1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Alienware x51 startup issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dhicksy27, Sep 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dhicksy27

Dhicksy27 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dillon
    Iv had my computer in storage for a good while now and Iv decided to start using it again. I got it out of storage and plugged everything in and started it up. I got five beeps and a blank screen. I remembered that i always plug the hdmi cable into the wrong port. Easy fix. I start my pc up again and I got to my login screen. My computer has been offline for a while so I was going to connect it to the internet via WiFi to regain connectivity before logging in. About the time I’m connecting to my router my computer shuts off, restarts three times. Turns on and says your pc has ran into an issue collecting data. After the data was collected the pc restarted again then shutoff again. So I manually turned on my computer and the power light comes on at the power button but the Alienware logo doesn’t light up nor does the ambient lights on the sides. Iv did a power drain and nothing works. I can’t even get a screen to put it into recovery mode. I bought this PC in 2012.

2. replay

replay

That’s a small form factor pc right???
    If so probably has a proprietary power supply??

3. Dhicksy27

Dhicksy27 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dillon
    Yes its a small form pc and I attached a picture of what power supply it has.

Attached Files:

4. replay

replay

Connect a different power supply and see if any change
    Place the power supply on the cabinet and just exchange the cables

5. lynx1021

lynx1021

Shows it has an external PSU like a laptop, Do you have a digital voltage meter that you can check and see if that part is working? Rotate the connector in the socket to kind of clean it. Should be about 19.5 volts. Setting up like that the connections inside on the power and ram and video may need to be replugged to clean the connections. May be blow out the computer if dusty. You can get your manual here https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/alienware-x51/overview

6. replay

replay

Good eye
    Missed that re: the external power brick

7. lynx1021

lynx1021

Yea, Dell was trying to make a Mini gamer and put the PSU outside for size considerations. HP had some full size desktops with an external brick , Looked like they tried to use some left over laptop boards in some desktops??

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    What is the serial tag of that Dell machine?

Also the beep code suggest the real time clock failure and the fix is to replace the coin cell battery. Since you haven't used it in a long time, it's possible that the battery is now defective.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232930

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice