1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Alignment Page Won't Print Properly - HP F4400

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by terese360, Aug 16, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. terese360

terese360 Thread Starter

I have an HP F4400 printer that's several years old but have been trusty and am hoping I don't have to replace it yet. I inserted a new black cartridge (a genuine HP) and tried to align as usual (the color ink is almost full), When the align page came out, it looked a lot different than usual. One end had an exclamation point inside a triangle and an arrow, all in red. The other end had only blue characters. It usually had several colors across the whole page. I scanned it anyway, but because it is not the usual alignment page, it is not being recognized and I keep getting the message "alignment failed". I tried several times to reprint and scan, and the same thing happened. I also tried rebooting the printer and the same thing still happened. Why won't it print the usual alignment page? Thanks.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A10-8700P Radeon R6, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G, AMD64 Family 21 Model 96 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 7628 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) R6 Graphics, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 911 GB (841 GB Free); D: 18 GB (2 GB Free);
    Motherboard: HP, 80B0
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm going to assume you actually have a model of the HP DeskJet 4400 series all-in-one printers.
    What's the exact product number(P/N) and serial number(S/N) on yours?

See if this pictorial article is helpful to you.
    The Cartridge Alignment Fails

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. terese360

terese360 Thread Starter

I did already try everything on that troubleshooting link you sent. I did say that yes, I have an HP F4400. It is an all-in-one printer/copier/scanner. I do not know where to find a serial number and am not sure how that would help answer my question. I am trying to find out WHY the alignment page prints as I described instead of the usual page when both cartridges are new and full, installed properly and it prints other pages properly. Is it an issue with the printer itself, the new black cartridge I just installed, or something else? Can it be solved?

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    So the alignment page has no black ink on it?

I have had genuine HP, new non-expired black cartridges that failed to print. (models DJ 1055 and DJ 1510 both use #61 carts)

I saw a thread where someone kept removing the black cart and putting it back in again until the alignment page printed properly. I didn't try that. I did everything else suggested, including cleaning with distilled water and a suede stick and nothing worked. When the 1055 seemed unable to work, I bought the 1510. That stopped too. I waited for awhile and eventually bought a 2655.

5. terese360

terese360 Thread Starter

Hi, Liz. The alignment pages that have printed since I loaded the new black cartridges have ONLY the following: At one end, an exclamation point inside a triangle and a curved arrow on one end, all in red, and at the other end, the typical characters, all in blue. Nothing in the middle. So it looks very different than the usual alignment page, and that's why my scanner doesn't recognize it. I tried several times and each time it came out the same way. The printing is coming out with a readable but not great quality, apparently because the alignment fails due to the incorrectly printed page. So I am just trying to determine if the problem is with the cartridge, the printer, or if there's anything else I can do. I did also try removing the cartridge and reinserting it several times, and the same thing kept happening.

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    All I can say is that someone posted they had to take the cartridge out and re-insert it 10 times before the alignment page printed correctly, using the black ink.

Perhaps tomorrow I'll spend some time troubleshooting my HP 1510 to see if I can get the black to print.

I'm not sure I want to spend $$$ for another black cart and find out it still doesn't work.

If I remember correctly, there is supposed to be some black printing there.

7. terese360

terese360 Thread Starter

I didn't count the number of times I removed and reinserted the cartridge. It may have been 10, or very close to it. Yes, there is supposed to be black printing on the alignment page, and several other colors as well, and it is supposed to be over the whole page, not just the end. And the exclamation point with an arrow is red is something I had never seen - and would seem to be a message that something is amiss. Yet, the printer still prints, though not the usual quality. So I still don't have any answer as to what this means and if there is anything else I can do...

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Buy another cartridge.
    As I said, I have 2 HP printers here that refuse to print in black. I sure wish I knew a solution but I don't.

If your printer acts like mine, eventually the print gets lighter and lighter until you end up with the printer printing blank pages.

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231574

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice