1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

*All applications are blocked from internet access, yet browsing etc works fine?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Joeleeriepa, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joeleeriepa

Joeleeriepa Thread Starter

Hey all,

I had an annoying virus the other day, and ended up removing it with MalawareByte in safe mode. But all of a sudden I noticed when I tried to connect to the iTunes store it instantly gave me an error saying "connection timed out, Check network settings", yet my internet (wired) works fine browsing with firefox etc. Then I noticed when I launched Steam it wouldn't display anything on the Steam store except a white screen that says "Navigation to this store was canceled". Same thing happened with every application I tried that uses the internet for updates etc. I even tried Windows update, and I go the same thing.

Like I said- The internet itself works fine, Browsing and downloading have no Issue.

I'm running Vista 64bit, current updates installed as of a week or so ago. Other computers on my network don't have the problem, so it must be something with this machine.

I don't have any antivirus software running, and Windows firewall/security center is completely turned off.

It's probably something simple, but I've messed with every network setting I can think of to no avail. I haven't found an answer to this specific problem anywhere, but people with similar problems seemed to have luck with putting their Vista disc in and doing a repair. My copy of Vista is completely genuine, but it may take me all weekend to hunt for my disc.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. huggie54

huggie54

found this,may be of use

Setup DMZ for the affected computer Routers contain firewalls and other network technology that may be causing this problem, but most also have support for a "Demilitarized Zone" (DMZ) computer which is not put behind the firewall. This is a convenient way to test the router, and users should first find what IP address is being given to their computer, and then set that IP address as the DMZ computer. If iTunes connectivity works, then the problem is clearly with the firewall settings in the router.

Ensure ports 80 and 443 are open The router should have internet ports 80 (http) and 443 (https) open by default, but it is possible some setting has changed to restrict these ports in some situations, possibly by them being reserved for a specific IP address on the network through port forwarding. These settings can be automatically set in some cases, so users should check and remove any port forwarding or port triggering settings that might include these numbers.

Disable Firewalls Routers usually contain some sort of firewall which is enabled by default. As a test, users might try disabling the various firewalls that are on the router. These might include NAT, SPI, or content filters, in addition to "true" firewalls which block specific ports and services. If any options to disable firewalls are available in the router's settings, users are encouraged to try turning them off.

Toggle UPnP settings Most modern routers support a network technology called Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) which automatically assigns ports and other network settings to computers behind routers in an "on-demand" fashion, which helps reduce the amount of configuration that needs to be done. Users might try connections with UPnP both enabled and disabled.

Update Router Firmware If various settings do not work, users might ensure their router's firmware is up to date. Many have an automatic-update feature, but most require a user to download a file from the manufacturer's support site and then upload it to the router. If this does not fix the problem then users may have to replace their routers. Unfortunately there seems to be a trend that this problem revolves around several Linksys Wireless router models, and it could be an bug in the firmware of these models that's causing the problem

3. Joeleeriepa

Joeleeriepa Thread Starter

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

I tried the DMZ suggestion, but everything was still blocked. Same with completely disabling the router's firewall. I also toggled the UPnP setting on and off, but till nothing.

I can't see anything in my router's set up that will let me check my port settings. I found a few websites such as www.yougetsignal.com that supposedly check, but I'm not sure if they are reliable.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice