1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved All Components Seem To Work, But Nothing Appears On Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kieranight, Aug 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kieranight

kieranight Thread Starter

Hi,

My computer randomly shut down a few days ago and then none of the components would start unless I took out the CPU power cable.

I purchased a new mobo and PSU and now everything seems to work (CPU and GPU get hot, PSU and HDD spin & so do case fans and CPU fan) although I’m not getting anything when I plug it into my monitor. I tried breadboarding it outside of its case as well, in case something was shorting it, but to no avail.

The only notable thing is that my new mobo only has a 4 pin CPU power socket, while the PSU has a 4+4. I read that this should be fine though if I just used one of them.

Does anyone please have any idea what the issue may be?

Thanks

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

It is well nigh impossible to offer meaningful advice until you tell us
    1. Make and model of new motherboard
    2. Make and model of original motherboard
    3. Make and full model of original PSU
    4. Make and full model of new PSU
    5. Make and model of CPU

Additionally when you say
    Do you really man the CPU 8 pin power and then when you did disconnect that - what occurred because the computer would not post with that disconnected

Have you considered the CPU may be to blame rather than the PSU or motherboard
    Did you conduct any tests on the original PSU or simply decide to replace both that and the board

3. kieranight

My apologies, system specs: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bv6dGG
    CPU: AMD - FX-8350
    Mobo: Gigabyte - GA-970A-DS3P
    RAM: G.Skill - Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) & Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB)
    HDD: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
    Case: Corsair - 200R
    PSU - be quiet! BN230

Old mobo was ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 and old PSU was Super Flower - Golden Green HX 350W 80+ Gold.

With the 8 pin power socket plugged in my fans would go for about half a second, then I'd have to unplug and re-plug the PSU to get it to go for half a second again. However, with the cable unplugged the fans and HDD started. I breadboarded the system to see if the case was shorting it, but had the same issue. After looking online, it seemed to be that the issue was the motherboard was shorting the system when the 8 pin was plugged in, hence causing the PSU to automatically shut down and making me have to remove the cable to reset it. I was told it's likely to be either the PSU or motherboard, so I got a new one of both - it was the same with the new PSU (So the old PSU is most likely fine), but seemed to work with the new motherboard. However, now, although everything seems to start up, nothing shows up on my monitor.

I guess it could be the CPU, I just read online that it was very unlikely to be the CPU and the CPU heat sink gets warm when the system is on, so I just assumed that it is working fine.

4. Macboatmaster

Which graphics card please

At this early stage if you have not already done so try with the two sticks of the GSkill ram
    Leave out the Kingston ram

My money is still on the CPU but lets examine the graphics question just in case

You will I am sure have noticed on part-picker that there is a caution regarding the possibility of a BIOS update being required. However I think they are wrong for that CPU - I do not think it will require a BIOS flash

When you reply please type in box that appears when you return to the topic
    Not by clicking reply on this post, as that, as you can see, quotes back my message

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  5. kieranight

Oh, sorry, I forgot to include that as I just purchased a cheap one afterwards. The one I've got is XFX AMD 5450 - HD-545X-ZQH2

6. Macboatmaster

Please see my last and also if connected HDMI try VGA if possible
    I would also recommend connecting motherboard speaker and see if there are any beep codes
    BIOS Beep sound Description
    1 short beep Memory Error
    2 short beeps Memory parity check error
    3 short beeps Basic memory 64K address check error
    4 short beeps Real Time Clock malfunction
    5 short beeps CPU error
    6 short beeps Keyboard error
    7 short beeps CPU interruption error
    8 short beeps Graphic card error
    9 short beeps Memory error
    10 short beeps CMOS error
    11 short beeps CPU cache memory malfunction
    1 long, 3 short Conventional/Extended memory failure
    1 long, 8 short Display/Retrace test failed
    two-tone siren Low CPU Fan speed, Voltage Level issue

Speaker is installed on
    Front panel header
    Speaker (Speaker):
    Connects to the speaker on the chassis front panel. The system reports system startup status by issuing a beep code. One single short beep will be heard if no problem is detected at system startup.

7. kieranight

Hi,

I just ran it with the 2 GSkill sticks and unfortunately there was no difference. I've also previously tried running it with 1 stick and that didn't help either.

Yeah, I noticed that on part-picker, but was told that this wouldn't be necessary (Like you kindly described). I've had this setup for almost 2 years now and this is the first time I've had any issues.

I just tried HDMI and VGA again and unfortunately neither worked.

My first motherboard did actually come with a speaker, although I think it may be a dud, as I've tried using it with no RAM installed (So it should beep) but it's never made a sound.

8. kieranight

Hi,

I've ordered a new CPU, a new GPU and also some motherboard speakers, which should all arrive tomorrow.

This means that everything apart from the RAM and HDD will be new, so hopefully it should run fine. The only thing I'm slightly unsure about is the motherboard, as a small amount of thermal paste went on the CPU socket. I cleaned most of it off with nail polish remover, although there's still a tiny bit I can't get rid of. Do you think that this may cause any issues, or should it be fine?

Thanks

IMG_2883.JPG

9. lynx1021

lynx1021

You may need scrub brush and canned air to finish cleaning it. Nail polish remover will dissolve some plastics, always use 90% isopropyl alcohol, you only need a small amount of thermal paste,
    Just do a single rice sized dot in the middle, it covers all the parts of the chip that needs to be covered.

10. kieranight

Ah ok, thank you very much for the advice. Do you think that I definitely need to finish cleaning it, or else it won't work correctly?

11. lynx1021

lynx1021

I have never seen thermal past turn into a powder, if that stuff is loose it needs to be blown out of there, I hope the is not any in the holes as it may keep the CPU from working.

12. kieranight

Ah ok, thanks, I'll be sure to buy some canned air and isopropyl alcohol and try to get rid of all of it

13. Macboatmaster

I am confused
    I understood from your opening post that this error had occurred just a few days ago and you bought a new motherboard and PSU
    HOWEVER then later you say
    as that motherboard to me looks very like a large capacitor or possibly a resistor has blown - literally apart
    I also have never seen thermal paste look like that
    It distinctly looks to me like the residue of a blown capacitor or resistor
    Such damage is normally caused by a dead short

14. kieranight

Sorry, I meant that I'd had it for almost 2 years prior to it breaking, i.e. I'd had the old motherboard and old PSU for almost 2 years.

I'm 99% sure that nothing has blown on the new motherboard, and that definitely is thermal paste. It is 2 year old thermal paste though, so that may be why it looks odd.

15. Macboatmaster

How can it be two year old thermal paste if you bought a new motherboard
    OR am I being slow

OR are you actually telling us, that you unseated the CPU from the old board and reinstalled it in the new board= WITHOUT using new thermal paste

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1215113

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice