All files got deleted

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jonow

Ok I am running Windows Vista Home Premium running on a good computer. I was updating a sound driver and I restarted the computer. When the computer tried to start back up it would not start up and there were disk errors. I tried to fix them but it would not fix to I did a system restore. It worked but almost all the files in the computer were gone. The folders were still there and most of the programs did not work. I tried to use a program to resorted deleted files but it did not find any files. I am sure I did not have a virus and the driver that I installed was not a virus because I got it from the manufactures website. (I’m sure it was there website not a phony) It has been a while since this happened and I’m ok but there are still a few files I want back if I could get them. And if I can’t get them back, how did this happen? Thank you for anybody’s help. Also a side note does anybody know how to convert multiple documents from doc to docx?

If you undelete program does not fine anything, it does not sound good.
It's happened to all of us at least once. Some like me take longer to learn. After it happened to me two times I started doing regular backups. Copy to CD or do as I do and copy to another networked computer, or buy a external hard drive to backup your key files to.
I know it'd kinda like closing the barn door after the horse has gotten out, but now it's all about protecting yourself from being stung a 2nd time.

jonow

Thank you for the advice. That was beautiful metaphor. So does anybody else have an idea how to get anything back maybe I should I try a different program to recover the stuff. Does anybody know of one? And if you don’t know how to fix it how did it happen.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I think it is way to late in trying to recover anything.
Did you do a "System Restore" or a "System Recover"?

And what did you try to do this FIX on the disk?

Ok I am running Windows Vista Home Premium running on a good computer. I was updating a sound driver and I restarted the computer. When the computer tried to start back up it would not start up and there were disk errors. I tried to fix them but it would not fix to I did a system restore. It worked but almost all the files in the computer were gone. The folders were still there and most of the programs did not work. I tried to use a program to resorted deleted files but it did not find any files. I am sure I did not have a virus and the driver that I installed was not a virus because I got it from the manufactures website. (I’m sure it was there website not a phony) It has been a while since this happened and I’m ok but there are still a few files I want back if I could get them. And if I can’t get them back, how did this happen? Thank you for anybody’s help. Also a side note does anybody know how to convert multiple documents from doc to docx?
When you say System restore are you talking about a pc maker's restore or Windows System restore as Windows SR should not remove any files, it only pertains to settings. If you used a mfgr restore then they are gone unless Vista made a folder called "Old Windows" on your drive which Windows does but not all maker restores do the same. Programs would then need to be reinstalled from software. Sounds like the folders contain the files so it's the programs need reinstalling to me.

jonow

I used system restore and it is not the system restore that did anything to my files but something that the driver that i installed made some disk error and everything got deleted.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What was this driver that clobbered your drive?

jonow

ha ha :D clobbered is a funny word. I am not sure but i think it is SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC. Not sure if this is it but i am almost sure. do you need any more info?

jonow

All my files under my user and all other users were gone. Files under program files were gone few programs worked without having to reinstall them but there were still files there. None of the OS file was gone to my knowledge. It looked like only files that were common were gone. Like doc and jpg and stuff like that not program files and exe. Maybe I am wrong I did not really look into it that much.

Files don't just disappear and installing a driver wouldn't cause that either. Are you sure there isn't another user and maybe your user was corrupted?

jonow

If my files are still there were are they i have checked hidden files ands stuff like that were should i check could they be somewhere in the OS files?

I would get some outside help at this point as we are all foundering. Without the drive in my hands, I couldn't answer that I just know they are there somewhere and are probably recoverable if that important...but it cannot be done this way sorry to say!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online