1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

All files hidden because of virus or storage issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by habte1026, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. habte1026

habte1026 Thread Starter

Hello friends.. i'm trying to help out a friend with her laptop (which I think she should upgrade). Its Dell Inspiron 1501 running XP.

I still can't figure out if the issues are related to her running out of storage.. only about 900mb free out of 69gb. Or if it started with a virus. For now virus has been cleaned up.

Even though I see that most of her storage space is used, I cannot locate her files on desktop or in myDocuments. I ran the attribute command (attrib -s -h -r c:/*.* /s /d) but it cannot apply attributes becasue on every line it says Access denied. I think the issue is that she needs to free up space so that there is enough storage to run normal functions but I really don't know.

Please let me know if anyone can help with this. I think what I need to figure out how to do is unhide some of the now hidden (everything is hidden) files so that I can transfer to an external hard drive or delete some files to free up about 5-10 GB's. Please help.

Thanks
    Habtamu

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. AtlBo

AtlBo

This is a major storage problem. The computer uses some hard disk space for the SWAP file, which interacts with your RAM memory to speed up your PC. There is exactly 1.5x as much SWAP space as the amount of RAM memory there is in the computer. Think of your friend as trying to turn a car around in a garage with no door. She should really take it down to about 30-35 GB to get the most from the machine...

By the way, all kinds of problems start to happen as disk space runs out. Windows starts shutting down anything it can to recover space for the SWAP file. I am 90% sure if you check her System Restore, it will empty of restore points. Those are one of the first things to go...

Tell her to get a USB external drive and move her music and videos there if she has any. Great thing, they come in small portable versions that will attach to another PC!

4. raybro

raybro

69Gb is an odd number for a hard drive capacity. It's possible the C:/ is a partition on a larger drive which could be increased in size. If this is a possibility, check out the free version of Easeus Partition Manager. You can manipulate partitions just about any way you choose.

One caution... Always backup your data (and preferably the entire system) before doing any kind of partition work.

5. SoftMaster

SoftMaster

Hi,

The best way to know wich files are using much HD's space is use a Software called windirstat (http://windirstat.info/download.html). You can see easily wich dirs or files are using the HD's free space.

Also if you want to see the hidden files in your Windows you can use Total Commander (http://www.ghisler.com/).
    In Total Commander go to: Configuration - Options - Display - Show Hidden/System files.

Thanks for reading.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085976

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice