1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

all folders read only?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by goorioles747, Oct 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. goorioles747

goorioles747 Thread Starter

I have a really weird question.
    All of the folders on my hard drive show up as read only(none of the files do though). All of my programs work except running hldsupdatetool to make a dedicated source server when I get a connection error. If i uncheck the read only, it immediately returns. I also tried moving hldsupdatetool to a flash drive to only have the same problem. I also tried starting in safe mode and was still unable to make anything not read only. Help any help appreciated.

2. hl5

hl5

I am pretty sure this is not the solution but it's what I see from Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256614

Maybe if you provide more information something will ring a bell with someone. How is the drive formatted, is it a network drive, internal/external, or anything unconventional about your setup...

So everyone knows, the hldsupdatetool is apparently a Half-Life Dedicated Server update utility.

3. goorioles747

Thanks, but that didn't help.

Internal 160 gb hard drive
    also have vista on a different partition
    folders on a network drive and flash drives all show up as read only
    Was fine a few days ago
    tried system restore back to friday

4. Cowboy622

Cowboy622

After copying my folders from the CD-R where I backed up my data, I open a document make a change and when I try to save it, get a error message saying that it is a read only file and to save it I need to rename it. Previously Mosaic1 posted: PS You can get rid of the read only attribute from the command prompt.
    I would need a complete path to the folder, but here is the general idea.
    This will remove the read-only attribute from all files in the entire folder.
    Open a command prompt from the shortcut on the start menu.
    attrib /s -r C:\windows\desktop\*.*
    In this example, all the files in all the folders in the desktop will have the read only attribute removed. Any which will not be changed will be listed for you. Those are generally super hidden files like desktop.inior system files. To change the attributes of a system file, you have to remove the system attribut first, reset the other attributes and then put the system attribute back on.
    Note the spaces attrib(space) /s (space)-r

or

I've used Attribute Changer for restoring and repairing backups. Works fine.
    http://webplaza.pt.lu/public/rpetges/

OR

I find the way I do it to be pretty easy. I open the folder with the backed up files and go to Edit, Select All. I then right-click on any one of the highlighted files and choose Properties. You'll see Read-only is checked. Simply uncheck it and click OK. This will remove the Read-only attribute from all the files that were highlighted.
    Note - The check mark beside Read-only might be gray instead of black. If you put the backed up files in a folder that already contained some other files, yet you highlighted all the files, you might see a gray check mark. The gray check mark means that only some of the files highlighted have the Read-only attribute.
    The procedure above only works for files and not folders. If you have folders backed up, you'll have to open each individual folder and repeat the steps outlined above.

5. goorioles747

None of those things worked, and attrib changer doesnt seem to do anything that windows does

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

In order to better respond to your question or problem

We require more detailed and specific information
    And Please fill in the questionnaire or Fill in the
    Computer Specifications in your TSG profile

Please repost your request with:

Computer: Brand Name
    Computer: Model Number

Age of system:

CPU: Brand, speed

Ram: Type, amount, speed

Peripheral devices

Operating system: Windows 98, 98SE, ME, XP Home, XP Pro, Other, and Service Pack Installed.
    Are you dual booting on this computer?
    If so what operating system is the other boot?
    Name, version #, date of most recent AV signature file

Vdeo Card: Brand Name, type, speed, Chipset, driver version and date

Video settings: resolution, advanced settings

Please state your specific problem and when it started

Did you change anything, install anything before the problem started?

List any recently installed software

List software running in background ie: anti-virus program, mail programs, backup software.

Any power disruption or incomplete shutdowns

Failed Scandisk/chkdsk or defrag attempts

Use of any “tune-up” utilities, registry utilities, system diagnostics, other third party utility software

Recent downloaded software

Any new programs or files that have recently appeared in your STARTUP menu or msconfig STARTUP listing

This information may be of critical importance in locating and correcting the source of your problem. Please note any additional information or detail about the problem that may be of value in our assessment of the problem.

7. goorioles747

Computer: Emachines
    Computer: T3065

Age of system: 2.5 years

CPU: AMD XP 3000+,2.2 ghz

Ram: 1x samsung(512) 1x PQI(512) PC 2700

Peripheral devices
    TV tuner
    PCI wireless adapter with SRX
    Logitech G5
    Logitech keyboard
    External 160 GB seagate hard drive
    Operating system: XP Home SP2
    Are you dual booting on this computer? XP and Vista
    If so what operating system is the other boot? Vista RC2
    Name, version #, date of most recent AV signature file

Vdeo Card: ATI, Radeon 9550, Radeon Omega drivers
    Video settings: 1280x1024

Please state your specific problem and when it started
    All of my fonders(none of the individual files though) are read only. This doesnt affect most programs, but it wont let hldsupdatetool(half life dedicated server) run in command prompt
    Did you change anything, install anything before the problem started?
    Installed vista RC2
    List software running in background ie: anti-virus program, mail programs, backup software.
    Spy sweeper
    Logitech setpoint
    Universal Devices(grid network)
    gaim
    steam
    Any power disruption or incomplete shutdowns
    no
    Failed Scandisk/chkdsk or defrag attempts
    no
    Use of any “tune-up” utilities, registry utilities, system diagnostics, other third party utility software
    not recently
    Recent downloaded software
    hldsupdatetool
    battlefield 2142
    Any new programs or files that have recently appeared in your STARTUP menu or msconfig STARTUP listing
    no

8. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

I have this same problem, and I'm running Vista beta 2. I'm pretty sure this has to do with protection Vista uses on the primary boot drive. I have a 160 gig IDE that is the initial boot drive, but does not have any OS's on it, and Vista and XP on a pair of SATAs in RAID. I've taken over permission of the whole IDE drive, but I still get access denied when I try to uncheck the read only. Its a huge pain, and I'm guessing the best way to fix this is likely something done from within Vista. Please help.

9. goorioles747

well, for you , i would suggest getting Vista RC1, (I didnt like RC2 as much actually). That might fix the problem

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/509634

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice