All games crash regardless of how demanding they are

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

person5555

I mostly play Call of Duty Black Ops: Cold War, which is the first game where I noticed this issue. Every time I try to start a match (or sometimes even load the menu) the game crashes, saying that a Fatal Error has occurred. The most I've been able to get is into a game, but as soon as the match starts, the game crashes to the Fatal Error shown below.

Screenshot (2).png

I've already installed the latest drivers for my GPU, updated Windows, and even performed a full reinstall of Windows 10, but so far nothing has worked.
COD is where crashes happen fastest, but every game on my computer eventually crashes (even ones as simple as Minecraft and Osu!).
My event logs also show that the "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
I just finished my PC build a month ago, so I'm sure that specs aren't the issue here.
I've been told that the issue may be with my GPU or monitor, but I'm not 100% sure yet.
If anyone knows how to fix this issue, the help would be greatly appreciated.

PC specs:
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19041685.
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: GSkill Trident Z Royal 3600MHz 16 GB
Graphics Card: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Pro Carbon (WiFi)
PSU: Corsair RM750x
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus (500Gb)
Monitor: Dell S3220DGF

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Welcome to the forum, @person5555.

Your post piqued my interest, because I've been having similar issues with my own setup. I haven't been gaming as much lately; however, I do have random crashes with the exact-same error message in Event Viewer.

I suspect there may be an issue with the latest nVidia driver released on December 15 (v.460.89) , but I haven't rolled back the version yet to test out this theory. I've also read of others experiencing issues with the 3070 GPU and latest drivers, so that lends credence to me for rolling back to a previous iteration.

Here are my specs for comparison's sake...

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20201206120303.000000-360
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700KF CPU @ 3.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 165 Stepping 5, CPU Count: 16
Total Physical RAM: 32 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (643 GB Free); D: 931 GB (598 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z490 AORUS ELITE, ver x.x, s/n Default string
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver IBP - 1072009, s/n Default string
Antivirus: Webroot (latest iteration)

I'm going to download v.460.79 from here, clean out the latest drivers, and then install that version. Have you ever used DDU before to remove drivers? If not, please let me know and I can help walk you through the paces.

person5555

Welcome to the forum, @person5555.

Your post piqued my interest, because I've been having similar issues with my own setup. I haven't been gaming as much lately; however, I do have random crashes with the exact-same error message in Event Viewer.

I suspect there may be an issue with the latest nVidia driver released on December 15 (v.460.89) , but I haven't rolled back the version yet to test out this theory. I've also read of others experiencing issues with the 3070 GPU and latest drivers, so that lends credence to me for rolling back to a previous iteration.

Here are my specs for comparison's sake...

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20201206120303.000000-360
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700KF CPU @ 3.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 165 Stepping 5, CPU Count: 16
Total Physical RAM: 32 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (643 GB Free); D: 931 GB (598 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z490 AORUS ELITE, ver x.x, s/n Default string
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver IBP - 1072009, s/n Default string
Antivirus: Webroot (latest iteration)

I'm going to download v.460.79 from here, clean out the latest drivers, and then install that version. Have you ever used DDU before to remove drivers? If not, please let me know and I can help walk you through the paces.
Hey, in case you're still having issues with your 3070, I seem to have found a fix to our problem.

It turns out that the issue was not with the GPU drivers, but with my motherboard instead.
All you need is a simple BIOS update and everything should be fixed (that's how it's looking for me so far anyway).

I don't know if you're familiar with the process (I wasn't) so here's a link to the page I used as a guide.
https://www.msi.com/support/technical_details/DT_BIOS_Update

Good luck! Hope this works!

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Thanks for the insight, @person5555 (y)

I've seen weird issues with the Nvidia drivers, ranging from a Logitech mouse causing crashes (yes, I kid you not) to turning off hardware acceleration in Firefox so the browser doesn't cause the driver to crash.

I finally hit upon an overarching sweet spot by using DDU to clean out the drivers, and then installing the latest iteration of drivers only. I avoided installing GeForce Experience and the machine has been stable for over two weeks now; no crashes.

I think we should create a new sub-heading for Nvidia issues alone...heh

crjdriver

performed a full reinstall of Windows 10
How exactly did you perform this task? Did you reset from within windows OR did you boot the system with a windows install usb deleting ALL partitions on the drive then install?
I checked the support page for your motherboard and there are a LOT of bios updates that address pci-e compatibility issues, nvme issues, etc. Some of these updates are only a week or 10 days after the previous update [addressing the same issue]
When I see this, it makes me think there is a basic design issue with the board that the mfg is attempting to fix with bios updates. Are you running the latest bios?
Bios updates to support new processors OR update AGESA are fine however when you see repeated updates that address compatibility issues, that is another matter.

I agree with Colin; install just the driver and not all of the other bloatware that comes with the driver.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online