1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

All games crash then lag - GPU issue?

Discussion in 'Games' started by tayroar629, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tayroar629

tayroar629 Thread Starter

Hello,

This is my first post here and I came for help. I am not really sure where else to go to ask about this problem since it seems pretty weird to me. Every time I start my computer, the first game I start (it doesnt matter what game it is), it will crash the first time I open it. This has started happening only when I put my new Geforce GTS 450 in my computer. This happens even to games that I had previously installed that worked fine with my last graphics card. Even old games that my GPU should have no problem running, crash for no apparent reason. I used to get an error stating that my display driver has stopped responding and has recovered when a game crashes, but that has stopped with the most recent driver update. The major problem however is after the first game crashes, when I start the game up again it gets SUPER laggy, to the point of being unplayable. It even happens when I turn all graphics on super low. I don't understand it. The only way to make a game unlaggy is to restart my computer, but then the game crashes right away and I'm back where I started.

Quick summary:
    1. All games crash upon starting computer
    2. Upon starting any game second time unplayable due to lag, even older games or games on super low settings
    3. Only way to stop is to restart computer, which takes me back to step 1.

I have updated to the latest drivers.

Here are my computer specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor
    790FX-GD70 AMD motherboard
    8GB DDR3 GSKILL RAM

GeForce GTS 450 1024MB (the one that comes already overclocked)
    -Current GPU settings via MSI Afterburner:
    -Core Voltage 1075mV
    -Core Clock 975 MHz
    -Shader Clock 1950MHz
    -Memory Clock 1900 MHz
    *Here is a link to the GPU in case you need more info about it http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814121415

Any help you could provide or recommend would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Tayroar

2. tayroar629

I just noticed that when I play games even on their lowest setting, which my GPU should be able to handle like cake, my GPU usage spikes to 99% every time. I am not sure if this is supposed to happen, or maybe something is causing my GPU to use all of its resources which is lagging the game. Just a speculation.

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

If the games ran fine on your old GPU then the things I would be looking at as a possible problem are:

1) The new GPU may be faulty.
    2) Your power supply isn't up to the job of the new card.

What is the exact make and model of the PC, assuming its a brand name like HP, Dell, Acer etc. Have you ever upgraded another other hardware apart from the GPU?

How old is the machine?

4. tayroar629

Its a PC I built myself, its not the first time I've done it either. Everything is less than a year old, and I basically built a new pc, used my old GPU, then replaced it with the one from the original post. At first I didnt have these problems but now they happen every time.

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    What version of Windows are you using?
    Aer all your drivers and software fully patched and up to date?
    What is the exact make, model and wattage of the PSU?
    Have you checked your temperatures?

6. tayroar629

I'm using windows 7 ultimate x64, I double checked and everything is updated. The PSU is a corsair 650 (http://www.corsair.com/tx650w.html)

When I play games, the temp on my GPU never goes above 55C.. this is a good temp range, right?

7. tayroar629

By the way, I really appreciate your help! I wasn't able to uncover any info on this myself, so I am very grateful.

8. flyer0101

flyer0101

First Name:
    Dylan
    That PSU should be fine and corsair is a good brand. i'd recommend you download HWmonitior and get some temps of your gpu.

9. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    If you GPU doesn't go over 55C then that isn't too bad and you have a decent make PSU, although even good quality ones can be faulty occasionally so always worth checking it out.

Any results from HWMonitor yet? I have linked to it this time, sorry forgot the link in my last post.

10. tayroar629

I installed HWMonitor and watched it while the game froze and then lagged, the temp never rose above 45C. The only thing I noticed was that the GPU resources max out at 99% after about 5 seconds of playing, and it never goes back down. As far as I can see, there is no over heating going on

11. flyer0101

flyer0101

First Name:
    Dylan
    I'd recommend you either try the PSU in another computer or the Graphics card, its most likely the graphics card. If the card doesnt work correctly in another computer replace the GPU.

12. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    What are the voltages on the PSU according to HW monitor? It's not only the temps I was after, hence asking for a screenshot :) Its quicker and easier to do that than keep typing out questions and replies.

13. iRiguez

iRiguez

From what you have said, it looks like you may have picked up a faulty GPU.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024589

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice