1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ALL Games going to a black screen but keep playing in background

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 8dalejr.fan, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan Thread Starter

I'm posting this here because it is more of a general issue and not a gaming issue. If you feel it should be moved, go right ahead. :)

Out of the blue, my games randomly "visually" lock up and then go to a black screen, all the while still actually playing. Nothing is happening on my screen but the games are actually still working (I can hear my car driving and responding to my controls, or I can hear a gun shooting when I hit the button, but I can't SEE anything).

When I quit, my display colours are either reduced from 32bit to 16bit, or my screen size is reduced to 800x600 and the refresh rate is lowered to 60Hz. Sounds like my video card is resetting or something.

What's wrong with my computer?

2. nessyguin

nessyguin

Do you have a graphics card or onboard video ( gfx built on to your motherboard) ? Sounds like the latter and insufficient memory (RAM) .
    What OS are you running ? How much RAM do you have ? Do you have a graphics card installed ? If this is a new occurence have you made any big changes to your system recently ?

3. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan Thread Starter

Windows XP
    1 gig RAM
    256 Mb ATI Radeon 9800XT Video Card (NOT onboard)

No changes whatsoever to the system (no new hardware or software)... been running this configuration and these games for almost 4 years now.

Problem just started happening. :confused:

4. nessyguin

nessyguin

I'd check for updates for the gfx card . Also go to http://www.memtest.org and download version 1.70 , boot to it and allow it to run a few passes (it checks your RAM) . I cant think of anything else that might come into the equation unless there were other issues which I'm sure you'd have noticed and mentioned . Have you tried playing video files , btw ?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/631113

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice