All games running slowly

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AE6B9

I've been having a lot of problems with my laptop recently, the overall performance has become completely awful (it's an Alienware M17x R3 by the way). I can't even play Minecraft without having a bit of fps lag. In an attempt to maybe fix it I restored my laptop. However, this didn't really help, and it's still just as bad. Here are the specs of my computer:

GFX Card: Radeon HD 6990M (I know for a fact that it's 6990, but dxdiag says that it's 6970. This laptop isn't sold with that gfx card)
CPU: Intel core i7-2729QM @ 2.20 GHz
RAM: 16 GB DDR3
Hard Drive: 750 GB 7,200 RPM

So does anyone know what might be wrong, and how I could fix it? It's pretty disappointing not being able to play any games on a laptop specifically designed for gaming. By the way, I do need to update my drivers, and I've have a lot of trouble with that in the past, I always end up running into some sort of error, so if anyone could help me find the correct drivers that'd be much appreciated.

Hi there AE6B9,

At the moment it sounds like a driver related issue, your laptop is using drivers for a totally different card. This can cause enough problems alone. :)

First, if you have any ATi programs installed, uninstall them via the control panel.

Download/Install this: Driver Sweeper

Driver Sweeper Information (if you're the cautious type of user :) ): http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Use Driver Sweeper to analyze your system, it will then produce a checklist of drivers. Only check those that are labelled ATI, then you can click clean. When it prompts you to restart, do so.

Now, try to update your drivers...

AMD Graphics Drivers: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

It's up to you how you choose to update - Manually, or having their program scan your hardware.

See how you go with this, if you have any problems then drop another post :)

AE6B9

Hi there AE6B9,

At the moment it sounds like a driver related issue, your laptop is using drivers for a totally different card. This can cause enough problems alone. :)

First, if you have any ATi programs installed, uninstall them via the control panel.

Download/Install this: Driver Sweeper

Driver Sweeper Information (if you're the cautious type of user :) ): http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Use Driver Sweeper to analyze your system, it will then produce a checklist of drivers. Only check those that are labelled ATI, then you can click clean. When it prompts you to restart, do so.

Now, try to update your drivers...

AMD Graphics Drivers: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

It's up to you how you choose to update - Manually, or having their program scan your hardware.

See how you go with this, if you have any problems then drop another post :)
I tried doing what you said, the only thing related to ati/amd was the catalyst control center, so I uninstalled that then restarted. Then I downloaded that program and the only driver that came up related to ati/amd was AMD - Display, so I uninstalled that. When I restarted again, and tried installing this, I got this error:

I then tried installing just the catalyst control center (under individual downloads on the amd page), and that worked, but when I try launching it it says that there's nothing to launch. Also, there are some Nvidia drivers on the list too, should I uninstall them? Here's a picture of the list (after reinstalling the catalyst control center) The resolution was messed up, so I Installed the AMD BlackcombXT Rev:A00 driver that came on my resource disk. There was also another one, Granville Pro Rev: A00, should I install that one too?

Strange... How I wish I was more clued up with laptops. :)

Go to your Start menu, search 'Run' and open it. Type 'devmgmt.msc' in to the dialogue box and hit enter.

This will bring up your Device Manager, look for any hardware that stands out with an exclamation mark... List them and any Display Adapters that show up.

It could be multiple devices conflicting with one another.

I should have suggested this earlier but have you tried updating your DirectX?

If not you can do so here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35

I doubt it would display false information but you never know.

With regards to your nvidia drivers, by all means, clean them all out. Providing none of your hardware is dependant on it, it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, don't install any drivers you can do without.. If that extra driver has helped you in the past, you could install it. Though I'd leave it out if possible.

AE6B9

Strange... How I wish I was more clued up with laptops. :)

Go to your Start menu, search 'Run' and open it. Type 'devmgmt.msc' in to the dialogue box and hit enter.

This will bring up your Device Manager, look for any hardware that stands out with an exclamation mark... List them and any Display Adapters that show up.

It could be multiple devices conflicting with one another.

I should have suggested this earlier but have you tried updating your DirectX?

If not you can do so here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35

I doubt it would display false information but you never know.

With regards to your nvidia drivers, by all means, clean them all out. Providing none of your hardware is dependant on it, it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, don't install any drivers you can do without.. If that extra driver has helped you in the past, you could install it. Though I'd leave it out if possible.
There was nothing tagged with an exclamation mark in the device manager, and I have DirectX 11 right now. As far as the Nivida drivers, I have no idea if any of my hardware does rely on them or not >.< suppose I should probably contact Dell about that. And the only reason I installed that other ati driver was because without it I was unable to get the correct resolution/aspect ratio. Also, thanks for all the help you've been giving me, I really appreciate it.

There was nothing tagged with an exclamation mark in the device manager, and I have DirectX 11 right now. As far as the Nivida drivers, I have no idea if any of my hardware does rely on them or not >.< suppose I should probably contact Dell about that.
If they are labelled 'nforce' these drivers usually relate to network devices, if not they will be video drivers which you don't need.

And the only reason I installed that other ati driver was because without it I was unable to get the correct resolution/aspect ratio. Also, thanks for all the help you've been giving me, I really appreciate it.
So it allows you to correct your resolution. Sounds to me like the driver is actually doing its job... Strange why DirectX is displaying an incorrect graphics card. Still, its working.

So lets move on to other things that could be slowing your laptop down...

- Overheating - You can take readings of your systems temperature with HWMonitor (here: HWMonitor). If you want to avoid installing more software, you may find these readings through your BIOS.

Screenshot or record the results and post them here. :)

- Hard Drive - Sometimes get cluttered, check how much memory is being used and how much you have free.

If you do have a lot of stuff saved, try deleting/uninstalling data, programs you don't need or use.
If you don't like this idea ( :p ) try defragmenting your Hard Disk.
I actually make a habit of shredding my 'free' space with ccleaner to avoid clutter (ccleaner offers this feature)
You could try using disk diagnostics typically provided by the company who created the hard disk.​

- Memory - Sometimes having a lot of RAM creates more problems, if you're confident enough with opening up the bottom plate of the laptop. You could pull a stick out, try booting the laptop and see how it runs. (Make sure this doesn't void your warranty).

- Spyware/Virus' - Always a pain for slowing users down, if you have anti-virus, use it to scan your system, make sure you do a full scan. (Better if you actually have good Anti-Virus)

It's up to you what you wish to try and what you feel confident in doing. If it becomes too much, you may be better off sending it off to have someone look at it.

It's probably something very simple that I'll facepalm at but until then, we shall use trial and error. :p

AE6B9

If they are labelled 'nforce' these drivers usually relate to network devices, if not they will be video drivers which you don't need.

So it allows you to correct your resolution. Sounds to me like the driver is actually doing its job... Strange why DirectX is displaying an incorrect graphics card. Still, its working.

So lets move on to other things that could be slowing your laptop down...

- Overheating - You can take readings of your systems temperature with HWMonitor (here: HWMonitor). If you want to avoid installing more software, you may find these readings through your BIOS.

Screenshot or record the results and post them here. :)

- Hard Drive - Sometimes get cluttered, check how much memory is being used and how much you have free.

If you do have a lot of stuff saved, try deleting/uninstalling data, programs you don't need or use.
If you don't like this idea ( :p ) try defragmenting your Hard Disk.
I actually make a habit of shredding my 'free' space with ccleaner to avoid clutter (ccleaner offers this feature)
You could try using disk diagnostics typically provided by the company who created the hard disk.​

- Memory - Sometimes having a lot of RAM creates more problems, if you're confident enough with opening up the bottom plate of the laptop. You could pull a stick out, try booting the laptop and see how it runs. (Make sure this doesn't void your warranty).

- Spyware/Virus' - Always a pain for slowing users down, if you have anti-virus, use it to scan your system, make sure you do a full scan. (Better if you actually have good Anti-Virus)

It's up to you what you wish to try and what you feel confident in doing. If it becomes too much, you may be better off sending it off to have someone look at it.

It's probably something very simple that I'll facepalm at but until then, we shall use trial and error. :p
I tried defragmenting my Hard Disk, and it didn't change anything. I'm fairly sure that if I were to take apart my laptop, it'd void my warranty, so I don't want to do that. I highly doubt it's spyware or a virus, seeing as I just reformatted my hard drive, it should be clean, right? Here's the screen shot from that program.

Is the Laptop still under warranty ...if so I would contacted them ......how did you re-install your Operating system?

AE6B9

I think I might have fixed it actually. I found a driver on the dell website for my gfx card. I'm not completely sure, as this has happened before where it works temporarily, but everything is running fine at the moment, and I'm able to play games like Skyrim on ultra high. But like I said, the problem might come back because stuff like this has happened before

Those temperatures are still fairly high, these are idling on desktop?

Also, I'm glad you may have found a fix for your laptop! Hope this solution remains to improve things. :)

If it does come back, drop another post :D

(Told you it would be something to facepalm at ahah)

AE6B9

Those temperatures are still fairly high, these are idling on desktop?

Also, I'm glad you may have found a fix for your laptop! Hope this solution remains to improve things. :)

If it does come back, drop another post :D

(Told you it would be something to facepalm at ahah)
Yes it was idling on the desktop. Also, the problem is back now, but I'm just going to have to send it in, this is getting really ridiculous. How could it work perfectly fine, then the next day not? I really don't understand >.<.

I doubt you're as stupid as I was but check the Power settings on your laptop , If theyre set to Power saving that's the huge problem thats stopping your laptop from allowing 100% access to your hardware (Happened to me) And once I put it on High performance Everything ran EXTREMELY smooth. But if your Laptop is set on power saving mode and it hits 54C on idle dont put your laptop on high performance because theres a high chance your laptop could overheat and your CPU could die. I suggest adding New thermal compound on your CPU. thats probably the problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online