1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

All I get to see on startup is wallpaper

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by themonkmob, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. themonkmob

themonkmob Thread Starter

Hi guys, bko376 referred me here and I just became acquainted with a ***** of a problem. I was about to watch an episode of scrubs on my Windows Media Player, then all of a sudden everything restarts. At this point all I can see is my wallpaper and thats it. Also, for about a year my cntrl - alt -delete button hadn't been working, but all of a sudden it starts working again. So I'm able to open up AIM, Mozilla, etc....except Windows Media Player, it says this:
    "an internal application error has occurred" So I'm guessing the file that I tried to open went corrupt, and now all I can see is my desktop wallpaper, no startup button, no icons.

EDIT: Whenever I run AIM a little popup that says "AIM has encountered a problem and needs to close" ....etc, basic closing now popup

2. themonkmob

3. rodeognome

rodeognome

ok seeing that ctlr alt del is now working for you try it again

go to FILE > NEW TASK

this will bring up a RUN box type "explorer.exe"

4. themonkmob

I tried that earlier, but all it does is pause for a second and doesn't do anything afterwards.

5. themonkmob

6. MrBills

MrBills

Have you tried to right click on your desktop and click on Arrange Icons By>Show Desktop Icons?

7. themonkmob

right-click doesn't work on the desktop neither does the start button

8. MrBills

MrBills

9. bbearren

bbearren

Have you tried a cold boot?

Turn the computer off, unplug the power cord, wait at least two minutes, plug the power cord back in, and press the power button.

10. MrBills

MrBills

You can also try with the power unplugged holding in the button to turn on your PC for about 10 seconds. Then plug the power back in.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490881

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice