All I want is a legal OS - NT over XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kenRich05

A friend of mine runs a preschool and has 3 old P3 computers that the kids use for simple games. He asked me to clean the hard drives and update the OS. Somehow, they have XP Pro installed - illegal copies that cannot be updated. He has disks for NT Workstation – legal copies (two have never been opened). I want to take the illegal OS off and put the legal OS on.

I haven’t figured how to do that and going backwards with an install doesn’t seem to be covered when I do a search.

1) I tried “format c:” from XP and it does not want to do that, even from safemode and a prompt window.
2) I tried booting from the CD drive and the install program for NT Workstation asks me if I want to delete the existing partition. I delete it, but then I get into a circle. It says it cannot format the partition because it is too large. This has a 12 gig disk.
3) I tried using a program called "delpart.exe" ran from a floppy, but that did not change anything.

I now have a PC with no operating system and two others that have an illegal operating system. I need help!

Hi,

If the machines have floppy disks use a Win NT floppy disk installation floppy disk set.

Download the image file to create the disk set from http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Run the image file to create the disk set.

What didn't work with a disk with Delpart on it.

hth

Ceri

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can't go backwards.

An easy way would be to put KillDisk on an MS-DOS floppy and boot it up and run it. It'll erase EVERYTHING off the hard disk, then you can do a normal NT install.

Excuse me, but this is a duplicate post. Please stay with the original post so all here can help in the best way possible.

Original post

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Thanks Lance, I'll close this one. I didn't realize there was another post. :eek:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online