1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

All icons gone, start button does not respond

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by dweisse, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dweisse

dweisse Thread Starter

Hello,

All of my desktop icons and most of my taskbar icons have disappeared and my Start button does nothing - even in safe mode. The Windows key on the keyboard doesn't work either. I did a system restore twice successfully (once in safe mode), but that didn't change the problem. I created a new profile and it has the same icon/start button issues.

I also ran System File Checker through the command prompt as administrator (sfc /scannow) and got this: "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service."

I'm stuck. Help please.

-------------------
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 6143 Mb
    Graphics Card: LogMeIn Mirror Driver, 6 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 953766 MB, Free - 695686 MB; J: Total - 1430796 MB, Free - 214153 MB;
    Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, Benicia
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

2. 87654321

Have you tried this? Task manager>>applications>new task and type explorer.exe>OK

3. dweisse

dweisse Thread Starter

Okay, I tried that and all it did was open a new Libraries window (with no icons). Not sure what to do from there.

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

d :
    When did the computer last work well? When did the problem begin? Sometimes the exact date is important.

What changed; a hardware or software installation or removal; an update to W7 [ check your W7 update history ] or update to your anti malware or other antimalware program / programs ]; an update to Java or an Adobe program for example?

Troubleshooting
    Please boot to safe mode.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/69585-safe-mode.html

Report the results.

RF123

5. 87654321

At the risk of insulting your intelligence since you have been with computers for 12 years

1. Start your computer.
    2. When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press the F8 key.
    3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.
    4. If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER

6. dweisse

dweisse Thread Starter

RF123,

I first noticed the problem when I connected from another computer via Hamachi, which was on Monday.

Per your instructions, I was able to boot in Safe Mode. While there, I restored to yet another restore point (2-10-13), which was before several updates (Flash, Java, Firefox, Microsoft, Malwarebytes) but it didn't solve the problem.

I'm only running Windows 7, but I clicked Last Known Good Configuration, but it just started normally - but still no icons or working start button.

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

Please explain:
    Do you refer to remote access?

What means
    ?

When did you install
    When did you most recently run a scan?

If you don't have MSE in the system tray:
    Open task manager:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/command-line-utility-for-microsoft-security-essentials

RF123

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

Some advice at
    http://www.ghacks.net/2010/01/12/fix-missing-desktop-icons-windows-7/

Please provide a screen shot, if possible. If your computer has lost the capabilities, perhaps you could use a camera to take a picture.
    Use W7's snipping tool, or follow the instructions, below
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Use-Snipping-Tool-to-capture-screen-shots

or
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-windows-snipping-tool/

screenshot

On your keyboard, look for a key labeled "print screen" OR "PrtSc" OR "PRN SCN" or some variation.
    When you want to capture that which is displayed, press the print screen button.
    Open Paint [ start > programs / all programs > accessories > paint [ rarely MS Paint]
    Maximize Paint
    left click "edit"
    Left click "paste"
    file > save as.
    Save the file to any location of your choice.
    File name: your choice, for example: "filename"
    save as type: left click down pointing arrow. Left click jpg / jpeg
    Left click "save" / "ok".

The file name has now been saved as filename.jpg [ or filename.jpeg ].

Return to the thread.
    Left click "go advanced".

Left click "manage attachments"
    left click "browse"
    browse to the location, on your computer, where you saved "filename.jpg"
    Left click filename.jpg
    left click "open"
    left click Upload"
    close window of upload screen after the file has been uploaded.

enter text into the reply area.
    left click "submit"

If there is information on the screen that you don't want to display, you can use the eraser [ looks like a bar of soap, left column, 2nd from the top. You can remove large areas by clicking on the dotted outline column button, top, right column, then drag your mouse while holding down left mouse button ] to surround that which you don't want displayed. Then, press "delete" on your keyboard. Then save.

RF123

9. dweisse

dweisse Thread Starter

Yes, I was remotely accessing my computer when the problem first occurred.

"87654321" was a response to Member 87654321 shown above.

I've had MS Security Essentials for years and it updates itself and scans weekly. No problems. As soon as I noticed the missing icons I scanned with Security Essentials and Malwarebytes and no problems were detected with either program.

Screenshot of my desktop attached.

Attached Files:

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

Thanks for the screen shot.

Your start button is present. By doing nothing, I assume that you mean you left click on it.

Have you run SFC /scannow from the repair options?
    If not, please do so.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html
    Select command prompt
    You will probably be at X: [ something other than C: ]
    type: c:
    press enter
    type: sfc /scannow

Report the results.

Control panel > view [ upper right ] to "large icons"
    open "notification area icons"
    Adjust as desired.

Open "taskbar & start menu"
    Does the properties for "taskbar & start menu" open?
    If so, please provide screen shots of both tabs.

control panel > personalization > change desktop icons
    left click the "restore default" button

RF123

11. dweisse

dweisse Thread Starter

Yes, when I left-click on the start button, it does not respond. The Windows key doesn't work either.

I ran sfc /scannow and got this: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any violations."

I went to control panel > personalization > change desktop icons and left-clicked the "restore default" button. No change.

I've attached images of both tabs of the taskbar & start menu.

Attached Files:

12. rainforest123

rainforest123

d :
    Had you ever used remote access via Hamachi previously? If so, when?

Had you ever used remote access, previously, using any other means? If so, when?

Which version of Hamachi? From where did you download it?
    From https://secure.logmein.com/ , or a torrent or other file sharing program?

Do you still have Hamachi installed?
    http://elechub.com/how-to-use-hamachi-for-accessing-a-remote-desktop/

Have you uninstalled it?

Thanks for the screen shots.

Please provide screen shots, after you left click "customize" button on each tab for the taskbar properties.

RF123

13. Mark1956

Mark1956

Got your PM RF.

Dwessie, we can probably restore the desktop problems fairly easily but first we need to see if this is being caused by Malware and fix it if any is found. We will start with these two scans below. If any Malware is found I will request this is moved to the Malware forum where we can work on a one to one basis.

SCAN 1
    Click on this link to download : ADWCleaner and save it to your desktop.

NOTE: If using Internet Explorer and you get an alert that stops the program downloading click on Tools > Smartscreen Filter > Turn off Smartscreen Filter then click on OK in the box that opens. Then click on the link again.

Close your browser and click on this icon on your desktop: [​IMG]

You will then see the screen below, click on the Delete button (as indicated), accept any prompts that appear and allow it to reboot the PC. When the PC has rebooted you will be presented with the report, copy & paste it into your next post.

[​IMG]

SCAN 2
    Download RogueKiller (by tigzy) and save direct to your Desktop.
    On the web page select the 32bit or 64bit button to match the bit rate of your version of Windows.

• Quit all running programs.
    • Start RogueKiller.exe by double clicking on the icon.
    • Wait until Prescan has finished.
    • Ensure all boxes are ticked under "Report" tab.
    • Click on Scan.
    • Click on Report when complete. Copy/paste the contents of the report and paste into your next reply.
    • NOTE: DO NOT attempt to remove anything that the scan detects.

[​IMG]

14. dweisse

dweisse Thread Starter

Yes, I've been using Hamachi for several months with no problems. I downloaded it from Logmein.com.

I've uninstalled it (and logmein). No change.

Requested screenshots:

Attached Files:

15. rainforest123

rainforest123

d:
    Thank you.

Please run the diags & post the resutls suggested by Mark1956; Mark1956's profile indicates a location of "Spain", so it might be 8 hours before Mark1956 replies. Just a guess.

RF123

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091064

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice