1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

All in one place

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by BtF8i4, Mar 15, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. BtF8i4

BtF8i4 Thread Starter

What is the best place (aside from my computer hard drive) to store all the following resources all in one place: URL's, word or pdf files, videos.

I'd like to make a repository of all the different resources I have discovered in one program, website, or place. I don't want to have to go to bookmarks for some, computer files for others, etc.

2. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    The default Documents folder is best. It is how you organize data within that counts.

Think of it as a Physical filing cabinet with multiple drawers and separators in each drawer and how you store "stuff" in it.

Logically compartmentalize the data in Folders and Sub-Folders grouped together based upon associations and projects.

For example:
    * I have a "Taxes Paid" folder. Under that Folder is the Year Folder; 2018, 2017, 2016, etc. In each Year Folder are Excel SpreadSheets, Word Documents, PDFs, URLs and other data files associated with that Year's tax preparations/statements.
    * I have a "Vehicles" folder. Under that is a folder of the named vehicle. In that folder I have Service Recall Notifications, pictures of the vehicle, scanned image of Insurance ID and other related documents. Under that is a Service folder. In that I have the Year; 2018, 2017, 2016, etc. and scanned images of Service Invoices.

Once you come up with a "filing system" for your data, stick to that system.

3. BtF8i4

BtF8i4 Thread Starter

Thank you, but rhe only problem I have with that is saving bookmarks on the fly. They get saved in a browser.......how do I get them in the same place as the files. I'm thinking a hyperlinked document or something.

4. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    You can Drag 'n Drop them into the folder. Also you can Right-Click in the Folder and choose "New" then "Shortcut" Paste the URL and then in the next dialogue, type a description.

5. BtF8i4

BtF8i4 Thread Starter

Thanks very much. I'm working with Windows 10 and Firefefox. Is there any way to Drag 'n Drop more than one bookmark at a time?

6. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Only if they are all in a Bookmark Folder and you use the Bookmark Manager (aka; Library - [ Ctrl+Shift+H ]) and Drag 'n Drop that folder of URLs into the destination Folder.

7. BtF8i4

BtF8i4 Thread Starter

Thank you for your help.

8. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224497

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice