1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

All-in-One Wi-Fi Printer Will Not Print

Discussion in 'Networking' started by GarryD, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GarryD

GarryD Thread Starter

Hi

I've spent the last 3 hours trying to get a brand new Epson SX515W all-in-one ink jet to print wirelessly from a Win 7 64 bit PC on my network at home.

Printer installation prompted me to download 64bit drivers from Epson, which I did and have installed.

Installation completed without any warnings but I can not get the printer to print wirelessly from the Win7 PC via my D-Link ADSL router. I can't even get it to produce a test print and in the network map the line between the printer and the wireless network SSID is shown as a broken line.

However, The printer is being recognised in the router management console as a connected DHCP client with the expected automatically assigned IP address and I can ping the printer from the Win 7 machine. The wi-fi LED on the printer is on.

I can connect to the printer wirelessly using Epson Net Config and any settings are transmitted to the printer and are included in the network settings test print so the wi-fi connection appears to be working. I have even changed the Workgroup name to the correct non default one in case this is a reason for it not to be recognised.

The printer works fine using the same driver when connected directly to the Win 7 Pc via a USB cable so I'm fairly sure it's not a driver problem.

What I also do not understand is that although I can't print, I can scan when the machine is connected wirelessly, but only using the basic scanner interface, not Epson Scan, which is only available when the printer is connected via USB. I noticed in Devices & Printers that in addition to the two entries for the printer (on wi-fi,one USB) there is also an entry for an Epson 81E435, which appears to be the scanner component and is shown as network connected. Additionally, the USB printer device category is flagged as Printer, Scanner, Storage whereas the Wi-Fi printer is just shown as Printer.

The 81E435 also appears as a Network device on the Win 7 PC with the MemoryCard slot showing as a shared drive.

Finally, the MemoryCard slot on the 81E435 also appears as a network drive in the Workgroup on a XP Pro laptop but it can not see the printer to add it.

Any help or suggestions to solve this problem will be much appreciated but will not be answered until tomorrow.

Thanks

Garry

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For network ready HP all-in-ones there are big installation programs to set everything up. Does Epson use that technique? If so, is that how you installed?

3. GarryD

GarryD Thread Starter

Installation CD does not have Win 7 64 bit drivers on it but directs the user to download them from the Epson site. Did that and then ran the self extracting exe file which installed the latest version of the driver. Not really that many steps after that. I'm thinking of doing a system restore and attempting the reinstallation again in the morning. It's nearly 1am here and I'm glassy eyed!

UPDATE:

This morning I did a system restore back to the point immediately before installing the drivers and Epson software. The only thing I re-installed other than the Win 7 64 bit driver was the Net Config utility.

Followed all the instructions to configure the printer with it connected via USB and, as expected, it prints and scans perfectly but the same problems as earlier post persist when I try to connect to it wirelessly or with it connected to the router via an Ethernet cable. The Add New Printer wizard detects the device, but can not install it as a network printer.

I've installed several network printers via a 4 port router before without encountering any of these problems. In fact, the Epson utility is effectively the same as the old Kyocera NetCon utility I have used in the past.

I've now tried assigning the IP address automatically and manually, from the printer and via the epson utility, both when trying to connect wirelessly or via the router and I'm getting nowhere fast.

I had considered that maybe I had entered any or all of the IP address, SSID or encryption key incorrectly, but if that was the case surely the memory slot on the printer wouldn't be visible/accessible as a network drive.

My router doesn't support MAC filtering, which was one thing I considered after posting last night, so I know that's not the problem and the manually assigned IP address is within the alocated range set on the router.

My last thought is that the network interface is fried, but would that affect both the wi-fi and LAN connections? If it's a dud then it's only a day old and the store is a 2 minute walk from my front door but if it's a problem with this particular model I don't want to waste another 3 hours trying to set up a new one. If that's the case I may as well cut my losses and look at another model.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice