1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

All installation attemps stop responding at CD swaps.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Antaeus, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antaeus

Antaeus Thread Starter

This one is a doosy (or whatever that word is).

My installer stops responding when switching discs. It must be a software problem because I have tried ripping the discs and using an emulator and the same problem occurs. I have also tried several different programs and games, so I'm certain it's not the game or the discs. I have also ripped the game, as it happens to be, and all discs to my laptop and moved the images from there.

I have come to the end of my rope. My XP disk that came with the computer doesn't seem to have any option to reinstall windows, though if you boot from the CD you can go to a repair option similar to DOS, that requires you to really know what you are doing and what exactly is wrong.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

The installer I refer to at the top is ANY installer that you have to switch discs and it always happens when switch the first disc for the second (not like you could get any further).

I am running windows XP with all of the latest updates from windowsupdate (which I believe might have started this mess).

Something that MAY be related, is that I have very recently been experiencing errors from Ventrilo, seemingly randomly, and Modem Event Monitor, usually after a restart, as well as a couple of Blue screens of death.

All files included in error reports seem to originate from C:\DOCUME~1\*USERNAMEOMITTED*\LOCALS~1\Temp

Here are the files associated with the recurring error from Ventrilo

Code:
    C:\DOCUME~1\*USERNAMEOMITTED*\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1c3f.dir00\Mini011507-01.dmp C:\DOCUME~1\*USERNAMEOMITTED*\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1c3f.dir00\sysdata.xml

The BSoD makes suggestions to uninstall all new hardware and software, an error I haven't gotten in a while by the way, but I have not installed any new hardware or software in a long while. I first noticed the intallation problem about a week or two ago when my friends ask that I reinstall my ancient diablo 2 game and play with them.

Again, any help is overwhelmingly appreciated.

Edit: A quick review of some of the BSoD messages from this forum leads me to believe that it may be a bad memory reference (http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/535706-blue-screen-error-happening-alot.html) which is causing my BSoD. But I'm not sure how connected it is to my installation problem. I'm not even completely certain it is the same error, which makes me hesitant to actually apply the hotfix. I have not had the BSoD in quite some time, only when I played World of Warcraft while on Ventrilo have I experienced it, which leads me to believe it's something different, though I would only know concretely if I saw it again.

Edit 2: If there isn't a simple solution or answer to those problems, would a reinstall of Windows definitely fix those problems? Because it's not a big issue to format and re-install.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice