1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

all microsoft office documents can't reopen once closed

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by pk89, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pk89

pk89 Thread Starter

my microsoft word, excel, powerpoint, etc. doesn't re-open after i close the document (even after i save it).

i have to leave my computer on all night or email it to myself as an attachment and copy&paste a document everytime i need to continue working on a paper.

please help me. i'm not technically challenged, but i'm not that great either. help would be greatly appreciated :)

2. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

Some additional information would be helpful. Which Office are you using? 2007? 2003? Other?

Now, let's start with a Word document. When you are ready to stop writing on it, how do you save it? The way I save a Word document is to click on File/Save as... and then browse to the appropriate folder, such as My Documents. In the line at the bottom of the box, I assign a title to the document other than Document 1, so that I can locate it by its subject matter. Then I click on Save. At that point, the new title should show at the top of your Word screen for that document, and you can click on File/Close/Exit or just click on the X in the upper right corner.

Try that method, if you are doing something else, and let us know if it cures your problem. Welcome to Tech Suuport Guy Forums, by the way. :)

3. pk89

pk89 Thread Starter

it's 2003.

i do the same thing as you when i save but once i close out of the document i can't re-open it :/

4. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

What methods have you used to reopen the document? There are several.

5. pk89

pk89 Thread Starter

i've opened a new word document, click file, open. and i choose the document and it says that it cannot open.

then i've gone to MY DOCUMENTS on my desktop (and from the start button) and clicked on the document manually and the same message pops up.

microsoft word opens up (when i try and open existing documents), but a message saying "blahblahblah is not availiable" so i click ok.
    then another pop up comes up and says "the file Normal.dot already exists. Do you want to replace the existing file?" so i always click no. then another window pops up asking if i want to save the document. so i click out of that.
    then i have to click the red X button at the top right corner again to close the document. then a spew about a "global template" appears.

gosh...

6. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

Aha! We may be dealing with the old, familiar normal.dot problem. First, close Word. Next, find all instances of normal.dot (they are HIDDEN FILES). Next, either rename them (if you aren't comfortable deleting) or delete all of them. Launch Word, and see if you can open a document. Let us know if it works.

7. pk89

pk89 Thread Starter

awesome idea!

but would you like to tell me how to find these hidden files? (so i have to rename/delete existing word documents with the normal.dot name?)

8. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

Go to Search/For Files or Folders. in ...Named: type in normal.dot
    Below Search Now, click on Advanced Options, then click Search Now. Highlight each instance, click File/Delete or Rename, and then Close. Relaunch Word to see if your problem is gone. Let us know if it works or not.

9. pk89

pk89 Thread Starter

i searched for them... and there were 6 different normal.dot template files so i deleted them.

i tried opening a doc on word again and the same pop-up still shows :confused:

10. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

What is the pop-up?

11. slurpee55

slurpee55

Write down what the message is on the pop-up - both when you try to open a file by clicking on it and when you open a new document and then browse to open the file.
    Also, are you on a network?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/685801

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice