1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

all my pics encrypted after os install

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by LucienLechance, Sep 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LucienLechance

LucienLechance Thread Starter

I clean installed windows 10 64 bit over my 32 bit version, and when it all started up I go to get my picture files from windows.old and they're all encrypted, with padlock icon's next to every pic and folder, and I can't even view them cause it tells me I don't have permission. I gave myself all possible permissions and took ownership of the folders and files, yet the problem persists.

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

This is not a clean install....what you did was a reset that kept your files. Not sure how you did that with 64 bit over top of 32 bit. Unless you did a upgrade of 32 bit to 64 bit, which there seems to be no direct upgrade path. So we're back to a clean install.

A clean install erases all the data on the drive and a new copy of windows is installed. There will be no windows.old folder.

3. LucienLechance

LucienLechance Thread Starter

Huh... you see, what I did was; I had windows 10 32 bit. I made a bootable usb drive with windows 10 64 bit loaded onto it. I then reset my computer and when it was starting up I had it boot from the usb, loading windows 10 64 bit to install over my 32 bit version.

4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!