1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

All new folders become write protected!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Tharayman, Dec 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tharayman

Tharayman Thread Starter

Hi! Just bought myself a new computer, a Acer Aspire 7730. It came with Vista Home installed, and merely everything was blocked. UAC, firewall, but worst of all I could not change the permissions for the folders on the computer! All new folders I made became write-protected as default and when I changed, it went back to it`s default state the same instant I pressed "OK". Tried "everything" including bringing out the hidden administrator account and using this. Formated the drive and installed Windows7 Ultimate, but the same godamn problem persists! I can`t even save while playing games because all the folders are write protected :p

Any tips how to stop this?

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

If by permissions you mean the Read Only attribute, you can't change it from the GUI. The folder being set Read Only won't prevent you from saving files into those folders, unless the program you are running is actually honoring the Read Only attribute.
    You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

It's more likely a NTFS permissions problem due to the games not being properly designed for Vista/Win 7, and are trying to save files in the Program Files folder, which is now a protected location.
    I'm not a Gamer, so won't be much help with any specific game. If the game allows it, make sure you are saving into a folder in your Documents folder, and not in to the Program's folder

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/887055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice