1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

All of a sudden, cannot burn cd

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by shonabby, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shonabby

shonabby Thread Starter

Hi, again. I have been using Easy Cd Creator for years. all of a sudden, it's like there is a buffer overun, and the cd stops mid burn, and tries to get up to speed, and fails, and keeps trying. That is why I asked you about the running processes. There are no applications running, except Easy CD, and the processes don't seem to be acting overly loaded. Performance jums, but There's nothing really running. I tried burning on RealPlayer, too, to see if it was just Easy CD, but the same symptoms occurred. Help me solve this one, and I give my word there'll be a donation to your helpful site.

Thanks,

Joe

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's possible that the drive has died or is dirty. The fact that more than one CD burning program has the problem is a bad sign. You might also try different media, sometimes a specific brand causes issues with a given drive.

3. Emtronics

Emtronics

I agree with johnwill, the drive is proabaly going out or dirty. I had the same problem with a very expensive Yamaha writer almost 2 yrs old. It would also spin up and down and fail. Replaced the drive and no problems.

4. shonabby

shonabby Thread Starter

Thanks, guys. I just bought this 52X Memorex about 6 months ago. I guess you dont mean drive(r). The actual hardware has to be replaced/ (Donation will be forthcoming).

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, 6 months should be within the warranty period I would imagine. My first step would be to try the drive in another computer to narrow down the issue.

6. Emtronics

Emtronics

Of all the CD/RW's I have put in, Memorex has been the most problematic (??) . IMO, they aren't very good. It's very realistic that it has failed. But, try cleaning it first with a CD Lens cleaner, then as johnwill posted, try the drive in another computer if possible. Shaking them from removal and re-installation sometimes cures it for awhile. My Yamaha worked in another computer for 4 days. :D The driver(s) are not an issue here.

7. RonK

RonK

My Optorite showed the same problem last week. I was ready to get a new one but thought I would do a system restore. (I was into the beer the night before and installed a whole lot of un-needed programs) The burner would not complete a burn after that). Same symptoms as shonaby.

The system restore did the trick. Optorite is burning perfectly again.

Running XP Pro

I agree with Emtronics about the Memorex RW's. From a box of 10 I bought less than 3 months ago I have 1 that will still erase.

8. pileyrei

pileyrei

Hi

Not that this helps much but I had a cd writer that lasted for just under a year. Then all of a sudden it just stopped working! I tried all sorts....nothing worked.

Solution: Bought a new CD writer.

Such a pain but it worked with a new one!

Good luck

Pileyrei

9. XP-1800

XP-1800

Similar sort of problem here.
    Have an Artec cd-writer about a year or so old.
    It reads discs ok, but hit and miss with burning.
    Sometimes it will burn a file(s) to a disc and others it will say burn complete, but when I check the disc with 'explorer' the files are not there.
    Others it will fail during the burn. Bought 20 Memorex cd-r blanks and lost 10 of them.
    I have tried other makes that had some space on them and it either reports burn complete but files not there, or fails during the burn.
    Loads of stuff to save and no where to save it...............:(
    I have updated the firmware to latest version. I have also tried to burn using the built in software of XP Pro but that fails too.
    Using Nero 6 and also uninstalled and reinstalled v5xxxx........same problems.
    Have also fdisked/formatted and put XP Pro back on, but problem still the same.
    Any clues...............or is my cd-writer just a cd-rom drive now ??...:)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!