1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

All of Gopherspace as a single download

Discussion in 'Tech-Related News' started by Mumbodog, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mumbodog

Mumbodog Thread Starter

Does anyone remember Gopher

http://changelog.complete.org/archives/1466-download-a-piece-of-internet-history

2. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    I never used Gopher, but certainly know a good bit about it. It was just coming out of favor as I got into the web in the mid-90s. It's great that someone had the foresight to archive all of that information. It's even nicer that he's openly sharing it to anyone who wants to download it.

3. Mumbodog

Mumbodog Thread Starter

I have it downloaded, seeding now, I have not looked at the files yet, should be interesting, 40gb, might last me a few years of looking.

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog Thread Starter

There is a really good video with that download, an interview with the 2 guys that developed Gopher.

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hey Mumbodog,

Did you try to use gopher w/Firefox yet? It is a supported protocol. See gopher at Wikipedia Gopher_(protocol).

-- Tom

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog Thread Starter

Many of the files will not extract on a windows file system, because the file names have disallowed characters, would need to unpack it on Linux or a Mac, which I don't have at the moment. : -(

Thanks for the info.

7. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Get a Linux Live CD - that should work.

-- Tom

8. Mumbodog

Mumbodog Thread Starter

And where do I unpack the files to? The NTFS partition? Then when I boot into windows it will have a bunch of files with disallowed characters, wonder what would happen then.

Pass

9. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Mumbodog,

I didn't mean save another 40GB, just use the gopher protocol - gopher://... locations address to download a single small file to see it work - i.e. within the constraints of your RAM when using the Live CD - so, no need to save the file unless you want to mount a file system with the mount command to save (cp) it from RAM to hard drive.

-- Tom

10. Mumbodog

Mumbodog Thread Starter

I think it is getting a little beyond my Linux/Gopher skills which = not much. I will have to enlist the help of my son, thanks for trying.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice