1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

All out if Ideas

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tg3_1982, Dec 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tg3_1982

tg3_1982 Thread Starter

**I must remember, patience is a virtue**

I just recently used Partition Majic to format the partition of my hard drive that had my Windows XP OS on it in order to speed the computer up a bit with all the clutter I have downloaded.

When I went to boot back up it gives a "invalid system disk" error and it won't start up the cd-rom drive (which I have placed the windows xp cd in).
    I have made a ms-dos boot disk, but frankly I don't know what to do with it because I am not dos-familiar at all! :confused:
    If anyone can give me instruction on how to get to the point of the Windows XP installation setup I will be indebted to you forever.
    Please HELP!!!

Thanks,
    [email protected]

2. casper03

casper03

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you set the cd as the first boot device in the bios? You should be able to boot directly from the winxp cd. Go into your bios [you will have to hit a key such as delete or F10 etc as the computer starts] when in the bios look for the page that lists your boot sequence. Once you find it, change the first boot device to cdrom. Save settings and restart with the installation cd in the drive. You should be able to run setup from there. If you have an older mb that does not feature the boot from cd, you will have to have a startup disk.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice