1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

All Programs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Beardie, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beardie

Beardie Thread Starter

I need help, I have a HP, I guess it was built, but it's been working really well for me for months, but now, I can't open "All Programs", when I click on start, there is no "Run", I cannot open short cuts without having to click on one forever, then it will finally Open, If I go to control panel to uninstall a program, they will never appear, if I go from a utility uninstall, it requires admin permision, I am the administrater and only one who logs on, no one else does, I need help on how to repair this myself before I may have to take it for costly repair shop, also, cannot get internet either, nor will it show me if I'm connected anyway.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Welcome to Tech Suppport Guy
    I have an HP I guess it was built?

What does that mean please
    Post the full model details of the computer please

Reboot key F8 on first post sreen boot into Safe Mode with Networking
    Open My Computer
    right click C drive
    click properties
    and tell me please the capacity of the hard drive and the free space

3. Beardie

Beardie Thread Starter

Okay Macboatmaster, I changed computers and now have your requested information, Capacity is 76.3 Gb, and Free space is 22Gb.

4. Beardie

Beardie Thread Starter

Okay Macboatmaster, I changed computers and now have your requested information, Capacity is 76.3 Gb, and Free space is 22Gb.

5. Macboatmaster

Thanks for that, one of my concerns was the possible lack of free space -clearly no worries there.

See if you can from My Computer and right click the drive as you did for the last, on properties,
    click tools,
    then error checking,
    then check now,
    then make sure BOTH boxes are checked - file system and check for bad secotors
    Then click start, agree to run on restart and do so

6. Beardie

Beardie Thread Starter

Okay, but I have already checked through "Tune-up Utilities 2007" and also through "Advanced System Care 5", I've used these before and they find any problems and correct them, "delete and re-install", as a matter of fact, I have already set it, again, to scan on next start, but I've already run about 6 times, finds nothing this time, but Okay, I will write this down and do this as you have suggested. Thanks for your assistance.

7. Macboatmaster

Well that was a mistake
    Tune Up Utilities 2007 is more than likely either part of AVG or the separate download of TuneUp Utiltiies which is part of AVG
    Either way you do not want that program on your computer
    It will find errors on a new clean installation
    It is IMHO a gimmick as is all programs that offer to clean the registry, defrag it and boost the performance of the computer

Here is what TuneUp utilities themselves say
    The difficulty is they are ONLY unnecessary and worthless in the opinion of Tune Up Utilities and their deletion frequently causes problems. Sometimes indeed of the nature you now have.

I would ask you this - 11000 unnecessary files - is it really realistic. Even if some of them are unnecesary
    If they were doing such damage to the performance that they need to be deleted - one may suspect that the computer would hardly run at all.

and then we have this

It can be most suitably described as garbage.
    The WHOLE problem with these programs is that it is ONLY the program that decides it is an invalid shortcut.
    If you simply tried to open the shortcut Windows is fantastically efficient in reporting that it cannot find the program to which the shortcut relates.
    A far more reliable report than the decision of TuneUp Utilties

ADVANCED SYSTEM CARE
    If it is the IOBit program this is what it says
    The optimization of ram and cpu usage is -by some program such as this - absolute rubbish
    Windows, providing the settings are correct for the paging file etc and the use of resources, manages the use of ram very well.
    and the suggestion that it can improve performance by 300% - ask yourself this
    HAVE YOU NOTICED THIS FANTASTIC INCREASE IN PERFORMANCE?

My advice is simple and straightforward.
    Uninstall them and leave them uninstalled

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Beardie:

Just to add to the comments in post #7, using apps such as IObit Advanced SystemCare and TuneUp Utilities can wreak havoc with a computer.

The Windows operating system gets damaged, some programs stop working, error/warning messages start appearing, and various other issues start occurring.

Considering how much damage may have already been done by using them, your best recourse may be to do a clean reinstall of Windows XP and get a fresh start with that HP.

What model name and model number is it?

If you don't know for sure, advise what the product number(P/N) and/or model number(M/N) on the sticker is.

Do you have a recovery disc kit for it?

----------------------------------------------------------

9. Macboatmaster

Indeed and as I asked you Beardie on my first reply
    and repeated on my post 5

10. Beardie

Beardie Thread Starter

Well, just back from trying to do as you have suggested, but, nothing works.

11. Macboatmaster

I know it is stressful for you when the computer has a fault, but I have asked twice and my colleague flavallee has asked
    WHAT is the full model details and version

AND

do you have the recovery disc

With respect you need to read the post from us and answer the questions. All we have for information is what you tell us and we cannot best advise you if yyou do not give us the information we are asking for

In addition to supplying the full model and version and telling us if you have the recovery disc OR what discs from HP you do have could you also please explain this
    a little further.

Do you mean the programs would not uninstall - did you manage to open Control Panel and add/remove programs
    Were they listed there.
    OR could you not open Control Panel
    Did you try in Safe Mode on F8
    Were you able to run the disk check from My Computer
    OR would that not open.

We need MORE detail from you please in your reply
    "Nothing works"

is not sufficient for us to gain some idea of how to best proceed

12. Macboatmaster

Beardie
    It is some 9 days now since we heard from you I just wondered if you made any progress

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!