All ram related software crashes and wont work until restart

houshhash

so the problem started occurring around a month ago and i simply have no idea what is the cause.
the problem itself will occur usually after around 10-12 hours after the computer was booted(it used to be on for days with no problem) and will basically make pretty much all software currently used close or crash to the point that if i try to boot it again it will work for a few minutes maybe. for an example when Firefox is active it will start showing signs of it coming by becoming a little slow and the visuals from various tabs start to overlap and if i restart Firefox after it crashes only if i work with one two tabs maybe it will last 10 minutes(i don't have a lot of programs running in the background) and if i want to use the computer properly again i have to restart it or nothing will work properly.
it really drives me insane because i have no idea why it keeps repeating in the same manner over and over i thought it might be the ram but im not sure after doing the windows memory diagnostic and another check(forgot what the application was called) and they came out fine.
if it helps the computer is pretty old like around five to seven years old and so far other than this he worked perfectly fine.
so if anyone ever experianced this or knows why it might be happening all help will be very much appreciated.

crjdriver

First of all, you are posting in a hardware forum and no one [other than you] has any idea what hardware you are running. Post ALL of your exact system specs. This utility will help with most [however not all] specs;
https://static.techguy.org/download/tsginfo.exe
Post the output here along with the exact ram you are using.

houshhash

yeah sorry about that
these are the specs form the exe:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20190601160519.000000+180
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
Hard Drives: C: 111 GB (42 GB Free); E: 931 GB (104 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASRock B95M-DGS, s/n E80-48030100190
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated
and as for the ram sticks
one is crucial 8gb ddr3 1600Mhz
the other is hyperx fury 8gb ddr3 1600Mhz

crjdriver

You may have a program or background service running that is not releasing ram. With the system running, open task mgr. Check the amount of memory being used and continue to check while you use the system. You will probably be able to see what program or service is using all of your ram.

houshhash

yeah the thing is i monitor it regularly because of the problem and unless i open any other program with browser open(firefox) the ram usage wont go over 40% again the problem can occur even if the computer is left alone for about 10-12 hours with basically nothing but a few browser tabs open.
which is why im so lost about it.

Sounds to me like a running service also.Some services are set to "Delayed Start",so even if your computer is idle,it will still startup.

crjdriver

Start testing your hardware. You posted that you ran the windows memory test. Use memtest from the boot usb. https://www.memtest.org/
Let memtest run for a minimum of 1hr to see if it records any errors. Next if you have a spin drive, test the drive with the mfg diagnostic. Run both the long and short tests. If all of the hardware checks out OK, then boot the system with a linux live usb. Let linux run for a while and see if you still have the same problem. If you do not have the problem, you know that your hardware is OK and the problem is a windows/driver/resident program problem.
Once you know where to look, the problem becomes easier to solve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online