1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

All sorts of errors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 2KThunder, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2KThunder

2KThunder Thread Starter

I have been having tons of problems lately with my computer. Dell just replaced the motherboard today. I cant run big installs. I tried running Office 2003 setup, no go, I get errors like "error 1305: Setup cannot read file C:\<filename> check you network connecetion or, if you are installing from cd-rom, be sure that the disc is in the drive." I get the same with office. it tends to trigger on the same file, like on office its Hatten.ttf. IO received the same trying to install a Windows 2003 Demo and XP Pro. In Windows 2003 the message was "File disk.sys caused an unexpected error (47872) at line 5274..." The file Windows XP sets off on is volsnap.sys. I tried two different CD drives, nothing worked. I dont know whats wrong with this comp. Thanks
    John

2. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

What size of power supply is on the unit? Is it overburdened?
    Can you even boot into Windows?

Dell usually sends someone out who needs help installing a motherboard (seen it with my own eyes).
    I'm supprised your PC even boots.
    They may have misdiagnosed the problem (most likely {my opinion}).

Try to use your recovery disks. It may be a corrupt installation of Windows. Make sure to back up though.
    It doesn't sound like a cycle redundancy error. More along the lines of a corrupt installation.
    Again it could be a misdiagnosed problem (bad memory, hdd or hdd boot sector, proc oubtfully}, etc..)

3. 2KThunder

2KThunder Thread Starter

Ok. I have an OS on it. But I tried installing an upgraded os and it wouldnt let me, 3 dif versions, all with file copy errors. I tried a spare HD. I tried a dif. Cd-rom. They replaced the memory as well. Thats what the issue was thought to be. Only 1 HD, and 2 CD-Roms on it, shouldnt be overburdened.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!