1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

all sorts of problems xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by invictoriabc, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. invictoriabc

invictoriabc Thread Starter

Had friend say he could fix something well...
    when i boot up my computer, it asks go to dos or hit f1. after several attempts, it finally goes to start mode in windows. safe mode will not access anymore and it will only run in normal mode. the time on my computer now changes every day to an hour one way or another. But the real question i have no sound device. it's a onboard sound card. i look at the settings, says enabled. all looks good till i try to play anything. i know rob was in dos what could he have inadvertently changed? the computer on the other hand is very fast. can it be fixed, or is it even worth it?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is no telling what was done. There is no real DOS in XP, so it must have been something else, from a boot disk, or from another installation of DOS.

Where does the F1 prompt come from? Is it from BIOS (before Windows starts to boot) or Windows?

Do you have your XP CD so that you could just reinstall XP? If so, save all the files you need and boot from the XP CD. Format the partition when prompted and reinstall.

3. invictoriabc

i'm impressed by the quick responce, again thank you. The f1,... my mistake is before windows starts,.. in bios. I am not sure if i can save anything to disk, as the last time i tried a movie it wouldn't play. Also the nero express is not burning, it saids check,..da i think that,s what is said. i check it off, reboot and it's unchecked again. I am the oridginal owner, so i do have the xp disk, the mother board disk, and all others installed at the time of perchase. I'm not sure what i should try to save as i have about four thousand songs, work projects ect. I'll try your sugestion .again thanks. dennis

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

If at all possible, the easiest thing to do is put that drive in another machine and recover all the files you want to keep.

Or, boot from a CD that contains an OS so you can copy or burn those files.

www.ubcd4win.com

5. invictoriabc

again thank you for your time.What disk would have operating system? motherboard disk?
    The other thing is if i take the hard drive, install in another computer, and pull all the info from the drive,, and put it on disk, i'm still left with the excisting problem of the d drive not operating properly, 50 of 1 and 10 of the other i guess. And i did mention safe mode is unoperational.
    kind regards, invictoriabc, owner of the worlds largest paper weight. lol
    should i transfer info and just buy another tower and let noone near it?
    thankyou for your time

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

If your machine works well (usually) and you want to keep it, you may as well try to salvage it. Once you have all your files and data svaed, you can wipe it clean and start fresh.

The CD with the OS on it should be nmarked that way. Are you sure you have a CD with the OS and not a hidden partition?

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

8. invictoriabc

windows xp home, p4s533 series motherboard, sot office, lg dvd writer solution i hope this not private messaging you, if it is i'm sorry. i'm overwhelmed with time you all have taken. am going to try to save data now. again thank you,
    kind regards Dennis

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!