1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

All sorts of problems!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by dastuph, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dastuph

dastuph Thread Starter

I get the Msgsrv32 (not responding) error on Startup and I have looked into all the mircosoft reponses in my earlier posts but nothing i have done has fixed the problem. I have received and installed the new adapter for my Palm Pilot and I have completely deactiviated the Advanced Power Management support from the system devices in the Device manager Control panel and everywhere else I was told to disable it.

It hangs on startup everytime and I have to "end task" in order to get my system to startup. After it does finally start up it takes quite awhile for things in the taskbar to load. If I hit start/programs/control panel to check things out it takes a good 5 minutes for the control panel window to pop up. The whole time the HD is just ticking away.

I am also having trouble with the cd/rw drive not working correctly. Whenever I insert any type of CD the system hangs for a few minutes before it finally reads the cd. Then it doesnt want to eject it without a long wait as well.

Plus I have been having a problem with the HD running in msdos compatability mode file system. I have reinstalled the drivers for it and its working correctly again but who knows for how long.

As you can see I have a mess on my hands and I have no clue what is causing it. I am running a Dell Diminsion XPS T800r with Win98SE/Norton AntiVirus 2002/ZoneAlarm Pro/800mhz PIII/512mb ram/DVD-Rom/CDRW/internal 100mb zip.

Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Thanks!

2. columbo

columbo

Hi Dastuph,

Have you tried disabling individual programs from starting up automatically? Norton Anti-virus is probably the first one I'd try. ZoneAlarm as well. Same with Office Taskbar (if you have MS Office installed).

I haven't read your original post....can you quickly summarize or outline what you've tried?

Do you have any printers installed on your machine? Can you try unplugging and deleting them if you do? Do you still get the error?

The only time I've ever gotten this error is when I was having a problem with the driver for my Default printer.

As for the problem with your CD-ROM, only thing I could suggest would be to try the unit in another PC. Does it behave in the same way on this other machine? Alternatively, you could try putting another CD drive into your PC, and see if it experiences problems as well.

I apologize if you've already tried and ruled out any of the above.

Columbo

3. Styxx

Styxx Banned

I would think disabling the PM in the BIOS would be necessary for a normal correctly operating computer. I'd recommend re-enabling Power Management everywhere you were incorrectly told to disable it.

On the CDRW many times simply right-clicking the drive's My Computer icon and pointing to Eject takes care of the disak ejection problem.

This is normnal. Leave it alone. You're not having trouble there.

You're supposed to temporarily disable NAV's Auto-protect whenever you install software.

Your slowdown issues may be a HDD going out but that's a remote possibity. Here are some troubleshooting issues to seartch for a more realistic cause:

Get, install, update and run Spybot Search and Destroy. Only 'fix' pre-selected problems.

Boot into Safe Mode - (tap F8 five times per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click Ok when prompted);

Right click My Computer; Point to Properties; Click the Device Manager tab; Click the plus sign beside CDROM; Highlight each device inside CDROM, each in turn, and click the Add/Remove button until no main CDROM entry is present.

Repeat with each device below that, Display Adapters etc. (see exceptions below), removing all entries inside a main heading. If duplicates are present remove all those entries inside a main heading.

Do Not bother Hard Disk Controllers, System Devices, and USB controllers.

Restart via the Start button and Windows will redetect, refresh and only replace those devices needed. There is no use for 2 keyboards, CDROM etc. as those duplicates cause some of the errors you describe.

4. columbo

columbo

Disabling Power Management is one of the suggestions given by Microsoft in order to troubleshoot this MSGSRV-related error. So no, Dastuph shouldn't re-enable power-management until he's determined the cause of the problem.

This isn't a solution to the problem. A CD drive that is working normally doesn't behave in the way that Dastuph described.

Sorry Styxx, but do you think that you should be giving out advice to this user? Having your H.D run in MS-DOS compatability mode is NOT normal. It means that Windows 98 couldn't load the 32-bit (protected mode) drivers at startup and that it's loaded 16-bit (real mode) drivers for the Hard Drive instead. The only time this should be considered "normal" is if you've booted the machine into safe-mode in order to troubleshoot a problem.

Dastuph, here is a page that you can reference to begin troubleshooting your H.D. problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q130179

Now...it's up to you, but I would NOT recommend doing what Styxx has suggested (regarding going through Device Manager and removing all of those entries).

I really do think that the problem is more likely related to a print-driver issue, or having to do with some application or TSR that you have set to run at startup.

Columbo

5. Styxx

Styxx Banned

I hope you help this poster find resolution.

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there dastuph...

Does the problem go away when you unplug the Palm Pilot cradle from the pc ?

If not...try unplugging the CD-ROM from the PC ( both power and ribbon cable ), and see if the problem goes away...

Because Msgsrv32 is the Windows 32 bit message server, and basically what it does is this...

Load installable Windows drivers at startup and unload them at shutdown

Run the shell program (usually Explorer.exe) and re-run the shell if it fails to respond

Mediate Plug and Play messages among various parts of the operating system

Coordinate automatic responses to Setup programs. This includes checking whether a Setup program has improperly overwritten Windows files, and optionally restoring the Windows versions of those files

Display the initial logon dialog box if networking is enabled
    Play the system startup and shutdown sounds

And also... post what sound card that you have, as there is also an issue with the C-Media sound drivers causing this error...

7. dastuph

dastuph Thread Starter

The problem doesnt go away when I have the Palm cradle unplugged. I also have received and installed the new adapter for the cradle that is suppose to alleiviate that issue. I have had my cradle attached away for over two years now and its never caused any problems.

I unplugged the dvd-rom and CDRWs power and ribbon cables but I still get the system freeze on startup that I have to end task to get out of.

I am running a TBS Montego II sound card that was packaged with my Dell two years ago.

I have disabled the power management profile as instructed by Microsoft

I reinstalled the drivers for the Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller which took care of my H.D running in MS-DOS compatability mode.

I also received a Kernel32 error this morning while surfing and this is the first time this has happened.

My CD drives are still hosed and occasionally the entire taskbar across the bottom of the screen disappears and I cannot get it back. Shortly after that happens everything is frozen and I can even give it the three finger salute.

Listed below are all of my startup items:

Microsoft Office Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE" -b -l
    ZoneAlarm Pro Common Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zapro.exe"
    NVIEW Registry (Per-User Run) rundll32.exe nview.dll,nViewLoadHook
    Taskbar Display Controls Registry (Per-User Run) RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
    MSMSGS Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MESSENGER\MSMSGS.EXE" /background
    POINTER Registry (Machine Run) point32.exe
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\taskmon.exe
    CriticalUpdate Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    NAV Agent Registry (Machine Run) c:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE
    NvCplDaemon Registry (Machine Run) RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    nwiz Registry (Machine Run) nwiz.exe /install
    StillImageMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
    ADUserMon Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADUserMon.exe
    Iomega Drive Icons Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
    Deskup Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\deskup.exe /IMGSTART
    QuickTime Task Registry (Machine Run) "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
    ScriptBlocking Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
    TrueVector Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
    ADService Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADService.exe
    RNBOStart Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNBOSENT\SENTSTRT.EXE

I am running ZoneAlarm Pro, Norton Antivirus 2002 which updates and scans daily, Ad-aware 5.83 + Spybot which I run at least twice a week.

Any other suggestions?

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

For a test..........start button, run, then type msconfig and hit ok....go to the startup tab and uncheck everything except for the two load power profiles, scanregistry and systray......

Don't open any emails.......just report back any error messages.......or freezing problems.......

9. dastuph

dastuph Thread Starter

I unchecked everything but the two load power profiles and restarted.

It restarted fine with no errors. It did load ZoneAlarm and Volume Control in the SysTray though.

I didnt open any emails but I did throw in a CD to see what happened and the CD is still hosed. It took 72 seconds to boot up and the system hung intermittently during that time. Once it booted up I opened up explorer to check the CD and it listed three CD players (i only have two). They where labeled E, E, and F.

Then I opened up IE and posted this message.

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What do you have loading via config.sys and autoexec.bat?

Start button, run, then type sysedit and hit ok.....go to both of those tabs and post the contents of each one.

You didn't install any type of a daemon (? spelling ? ) program for use with the cdrom? I can't remember the name of the exact program, but it's come up before by placing extra cdrom drives in my computer......

11. J. Franklin

J. Franklin

Something to check on, Norton products (in my experience) causes problems when installed with other similar types of software ie...antivirus software. Second: Config.sys is a file that should be empty, it can cause devices to run in msdos compatipility mode. Third: I have seen a virus in the boot sector cause all the problems you've discribed. If you have a rescue floppy disk that scans your hard drive from boot up, try that. Make sure the power is disconnected for a few minutes to insure that all memory has been purged. I have seen anti virus softwares not pick up a virus in the boot sector. Just a few suggestions derived from personal experience.

12. dastuph

dastuph Thread Starter

I downloaded and ran Solo AntiVirus to see if there was a boot sector virus and it came up negative.

I also dont have any other virus software running other then Norton.

13. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there dastuph...

Was looking at the specs of the pc...

http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dkub/specs.htm

And it looks like that the pc has a 200 watt PSU, IHMO it may be under powered for all that you have on it, this may be the cause of the freezing and slow response, but not the Msgsrv32 errors as columbo and Aca have suggested it appers to be something loading at startup...

To test it, unplugg the DVD, CDRW, and ZIP drive ( with the suggestion from Aca about the start up files ) and see if it helps...

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice