1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

All source games (on Steam) keep crashing on me.

Discussion in 'Games' started by seanbow, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. seanbow

seanbow Thread Starter

Whenever I try to play any source games (I've tried Half-Life 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2), they crash. I start the game fine, and can run around or do whatever for a couple minutes, but then it crashes. What usually happens is the video freezes, the sound loops for a couple seconds, and then the screen goes black and the sound turns into a horrible screeching noise. I then have to reset my computer. Before it crashes, everything is covered in little red checkers, they're kind of sparsely dotted instead of solid. This has been going on for quite some time. Half-Life 2 used to work perfectly fine. I was able to play Team Fortress 2 one time successfully until I quit myself, but after that it's crashed every time. I just formatted my computer for other reasons, and hoped that it would fix this problem too, but it still crashes the same.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 3200+, an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, and 1gb of ram, and I'm using Windows XP Pro.

Thanks.

2. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

it sounds as if your gpu hardware could be dodgey..have you updated the drivers at all?

3. Lo_skillz

Lo_skillz

I would definately follow bloo's advice and check your drivers, maybe just going ahead and doing a uninstall/reinstall of your graphics drivers.
    I would also check the temps inside your case with speedfan or another temp monitoring program.
    You haven't been working inside you case lately and felt a small shock have you?

4. bodhost.co.uk

bodhost.co.uk

Upgrade your drivers and still if you face the same than let us know

5. seanbow

seanbow Thread Starter

I did update my drivers. I also did open my case recently to ... I don't even remember what, but I didn't feel any shock. The problems were happening before I opened the case though.

6. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

opening the case wouldnt damage anything...where did you download your drivers from? wer they the omega drivers or catalyst?

although the fact that you reformatted then graphics doesnt work does show that somehting is missing...did you reinstall all your motherboard drivers too?

7. fenderburn

fenderburn

My experiance with ATI and AMD has always been bad.. don't seem to get along..Nvidia in my opinion is the better card for AMD....sounds wierd huh?

8. Rxlumx

Rxlumx

I can agree with this, one of my earlier computers had a ATI and it didn't quite worked the same way I wanted it too. Now I run AMD and Nvidia, they work every well together. (y)

9. fenderburn

fenderburn

your computer sounds like it kicks ***...got any pics of it?...I been thinkin about the water cooling....how's that work for ya ?...pretty good I bet....do you play Red Orchestra or counter strike or DOD?...I just bought Arma Combat operations and it is great......John

10. seanbow

seanbow Thread Starter

Haha. Funny that ATI and AMD might not work well together, seeing as they're they same company now. I downloaded the drivers from the ATI website, they were the catalyst drivers. Version 7.10. I also tried 7.8 at someone else's recommendation which didn't work either. I did reinstall all the motherboard drivers.

11. Rxlumx

Rxlumx

No I don't have any pictures of it yet, but that is a very good idea. I did take pictures of my last computer, but this one far surpasses it. ^^ Water Cooling works very well, I probably wouldn't do it again without better equipment, it took me almost 4 hours just to hook it up. (Also considering it was my first time using water cooling.) I've played Counter-Strike 1.5 and source it works well, I can play any HL2 game with full settings though it's an older source engine I can play Bioshock with the graphics all the way up so I'm not complaining. Seanbow yes it is ironic that AMD bought ATI and they don't always work that well. I'm sure there will be improvements in the future.

12. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

ati and amd are made to work together as sean says..they are amalgamated companys now...bac in the day b4 multi core processors and direct x 10...the build companions wer nvidia intel and ati amd...still are today...but before the advent of the multi core...amd where better cpus...and amd wer faster gpus...

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647434

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice