Solved All USB Ports Randomly Stopped Working (USB Cont. Fried?)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tandrone

Hey, so as the title suggests, I was just using my computer doing nothing special and randomly my USB ports disconnect then reconnect a few seconds after. I didn't think much of it, but then 1 minute later, the USB ports all disconnect and don't reconnect. I've restarted my computer multiple times, tried replugging keyboard/mice into different ports (back and front), have let the computer sit for a while then tried, but nothing is working and my USB ports just don't seem to work.

I fear this is a hardware related issue, potentially with the motherboard or a fried USB controller - none of my ports work with any type of USB input (microphone, keyboard, mouse)

I have heard of doing a CMOS reset or tinkering with my BIOS settings but am not sure how or if it will even be helpful or even what those are.

I'm really lost and my computer is basically unusable. I would genuinely appreciate any help possible.

Important Details:
-I've had my computer for around 2 years with overall crappy USB problems (ranging from ports that randomly stop working for a few days, to audio problems, to other random crap) so i feel as though my motherboard is not good
-My computer is prebuilt: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
-Right when all the USB ports stopped working, I had a video in the background and for some reason, my headphones through a USB to audio jack converter stilled worked and I could hear the video
-I think this may be an electrical issue, partially because a portion of my apartment's breaker went off prior (i don't think it affected the computer, because it was still on) and I had to reset it
-I have been running pretty graphically/CPU intensive games in the past few weeks (PUBG) and had to tinker with some computer settings to allow for maximum game performances
-Every other aspect of my computer works fine, just the USB ports

I just need someone to guide me through what I should do. I am very desperate, help a college student getting ready for finals. Thanks.

dmccoy

Darrin
That is going to be tough to troubleshoot if you cannot get your keyboard or mouse to work. Does your keyboard or mouse work before windows starts up? For example are you able to access the bios? Do you have a Windows 10 install USB/DVD? Do you happen to have a PS2 keyboard and/ or mouse that you can use?

It looks like you press the Delete key when the computer starts to access the bios? See if you can get into the bios and see if your keyboard or mouse works from there and let us know?

Last edited:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Most of the complaints about your gaming desktop are about its overheating problem.
I don't know if that has anything to do with your USB issue.

--------------------------------------------------------------

plodr

Liz
This sounds weird but it is worth a try. It is only for desktop computers. It has also helped several people to get functioning USB ports again.
Turn off your desktop and remove the power cord either from the back of the computer or the wall. Let it disconnected for at least 1/2 hour. Plug it back in, fire it up and hopefully the USB ports will be working again.

crjdriver

Quite often when the problem is all usb ports ie all usb2 or all of the usb3 ports, the problem is the fuse. High end motherboards will have multiple fuses however something like yours will have a single fuse. This fuse is replaceable however it will probably cost more than a new mb [unless you are highly skilled with a solder iron]

tandrone

This sounds weird but it is worth a try. It is only for desktop computers. It has also helped several people to get functioning USB ports again.
Turn off your desktop and remove the power cord either from the back of the computer or the wall. Let it disconnected for at least 1/2 hour. Plug it back in, fire it up and hopefully the USB ports will be working again.
Ive tried, leaving it out for almost a full day then trying, but it still doesnt work.

tandrone

Whats really wierd is that, if I unplug my keyboard USB, then plug it back, the lights of the keyboard flash on for half a second then turn back off. I think this maybe an electrical issue

tandrone

That is going to be tough to troubleshoot if you cannot get your keyboard or mouse to work. Does your keyboard or mouse work before windows starts up? For example are you able to access the bios? Do you have a Windows 10 install USB/DVD? Do you happen to have a PS2 keyboard and/ or mouse that you can use?

It looks like you press the Delete key when the computer starts to access the bios? See if you can get into the bios and see if your keyboard or mouse works from there and let us know?
I unfortunetaly dont have a PS2 keyboard/mice so theres no way for me to get into BIOS

tandrone

Quite often when the problem is all usb ports ie all usb2 or all of the usb3 ports, the problem is the fuse. High end motherboards will have multiple fuses however something like yours will have a single fuse. This fuse is replaceable however it will probably cost more than a new mb [unless you are highly skilled with a solder iron]
Arent these fuses suppose to reset again? Or have i just completely messed it up.

tandrone

OK so, I just plugged in a really old mouse, and it started working! My peripherals are the G710+ gaming keyboard and the G502 mouse. This is a big relief as it may not be entirely a hardware issue but more on my actual peripherals or drivers/software. Does anyone have any ideas?

tandrone

Yes it is! So i used the on-screen keyboard to get into my computer, and I am trying to figure out if this is a driver/software issue

dmccoy

Darrin
Ok great. That would be my best guess. Download the latest drivers from the mfg website if possible

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online