1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

All USB ports stopped working correctly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cwwozniak, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter Thread Starter

First Name:
    Chuck
    All of the USB ports on our emachines T2482 desktop stopped working with several devices this afternoon. A previously set up USB connected printer shows up as off line. Plugging in a flash drive or WiFi USB dongle triggers an audible USB connection alert but, the drive does not show up under "My Computer" and the LEDs do not light up on the WiFi dongle, which was working fine up to that point. Unplugging any USB device triggers a USB disconnect alert. The flash drive and dongle work fine on another computer. The USB mouse on this computer is still working normally.

The computer was running Windows XP Home SP2 at the time and I updated to SP3 in the hope it might solve the problem but it did not.

We had attached a new WD 1.5 TB My Book Essential external HDD the day before and installed but never ran a backup using the WD SmartWare software that came on it. Earlier today, I manually copied about 85 GB of files from another external USB drive to the new one with no problem. My wife was able to access the files on the drive after that and was able to use the USB dongle wireless connection for getting on line for a few more hours.

She could not get on line after dinner and that was when I found that most of the USB connected devices were not working. The new drive was not showing up under "My Computer" as well. I tried disconnecting the new drive and then un-installing the SmartWare but no change.

I installed the registry patch suggested by Rollin' Rog in another thread and then checked the Device manager with "show hidden devices" enabled. Under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers", I get:

- Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    - USB 2.0 Root Hub
    - USB Root Hub
    - USB Root Hub
    - USB Root Hub
    - VIA Rev 5 or Later USB Universal Host Controller
    - VIA Rev 5 or Later USB Universal Host Controller
    - VIA Rev 5 or Later USB Universal Host Controller​

None of them are grayed out and double clicking on each reports that they are working properly. The only warning that I see is for "ADS Instant DVD 2.0" under Non-Plug and Play Drivers. I have used Instant DVD in the past but the USB based hardware has not been connected to the computer for over a two years.

I moved the USB mouse plug to the port that was used by the new drive and the mouse still works. I did get the USB disconnect and connect alert sounds and a new USB device pop-up when I moved the connection.

Am I missing some setting somewhere? Do I have a corrupted driver? Did I have some type of USB hardware failure that only lets the mouse work? :confused:

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Is the drive powered from just a USB port or does it have a power adapter? If it's powered off a USB port I would get a USB "Y" connector so it gets power off 2 USB ports and see if the problem continues.

I don't know whats going on with WD lately. I see lots of threads involving problems with both the WD My Book and My Passport drives.

Test and see what the voltage readout is on each USB port.

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

USBDeview: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html is a utility that displays information about USB devices that are or have been connected to your computer. It might be useful to determine if your computer isn't recognizing the devices at all, or thinks they are disabled.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Thank you win2kpro and Frank4d for the prompt replies.

The new external WD drive uses a AC power adapter. With the USB cable disconnected, the power/activity light is a steady on and all other indicators (locked and usage gauge) are off. The other external drive (a different WD model) used earlier in the day on that computer also uses an AC adapter.

Should I be checking the USB output voltages on an unused USB port or measure the voltage with a device connected to the port? The first case is fairly easy while the second will require cutting open a short USB A-B extension cable and tapping into the power wires.

I'll download and run USBDeview v1.56 after dinner this evening and post my results.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

I built a tester out of an old USB cable (pic attched). If I'm working on a machine with a problem on a front port I test the voltage at the motherboard header then test the voltage at the port to see if here is a voltage drop between the two.

I guess I could open an enclosure with it connected and test the voltage at the enclosure adapter but never had to go that far although it would be more accurate than just testing the voltage at the port.

I would also test the voltage on the +5v rail at the motherboard connector with the machine running and a problematic USB device connected.

Attached Files:

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I think I found a solution.

I first added a USB to PS/2 adapter to the USB mouse and plugged that into the PS/2 port on the computer.

I then went into the Hardware device manager and uninstalled everything under Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

I shut down and re-powered the computer.

Windows found the USB hardware and automatically re-installed the USB controller and host drivers.

It found the printer and automatically re-installed USB printing support. I did have to re-enable sharing and will need to re-establish the printer connection on the other computers.

I plugged in the new WD HDD and it was recognized by Windows. This time, I did not install the WD software. I could see the drive and its contents with no problem.

I plugged in the USB WiFi dongle and Windows automatically installed the drivers for it. I did need to re-establish the connection to our WiFi router and re-enter the WPA key.

I tested a USB flash drive and it worked as expected.

I power cycled the computer one time and everything still seemed to be connecting and working OK.

I'll give this a couple of days to make sure the fix continues to work and then hopefully mark this thread as solved.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/897278

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice