1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

All USB ports stopped working!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Samsla, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Samsla

Samsla Thread Starter

Hi,

I am using an HP DV9310us laptop with Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit, and an AMD Turion 64 TL-52 processor. (Let me know if you need any more info to troubleshoot)

A little over a month ago, I plugged in an old optical mouse to my laptop, which I had previously used on a much older desktop.

Almost immediately, I got a popup message saying "One of your USB devices is malfunctioning". The mouse didn't work in that port, so I tried another one. It worked for a few minutes, then I got the same message again. I unplugged the mouse and decided to give up. A few minutes later I started getting the same error message over and over again multiple times in rapid succession, with nothing attached to my usb ports. I wish I had written down or copied the exact error message, but I didn't, and now it's too late to remember the exact message. At that point, I was sleepy and I decided to deal with the problem the next day.

When I woke up and tried to plug in a different mouse (which was working on said laptop previously), I discovered that NONE of my USB ports were working at all. Since then, I have tried every fix I could find on the internet, on many different forums, and nothing has worked.

Upon further inspection, I noticed that the USB ports still supply power (sort of). For instance, when I plug in my usb hard drive, it lights up but doesn't spin, and nothing is recognized by the computer. When I plug in my Windows Mobile Phone with the usb charger, the phone beeps to tell me it's plugged up, but doesn't charge and nothing is recognized by the computer.

None of the USB devices or controllers in device manager show any errors. Nevertheless, I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling them multiple times, to no avail. I have also tried unplugging/removing the battery, waiting, and then restarting (per one suggestion I found online). I have tried doing all of this in safe mode. It seems that most of the forums with posts about this issue deal with Windows XP; I haven't found hardly any that talk about Vista.

I have been told by my tech-savvy friends and from HP chat tech support that since I have tried all the common troubleshooting tricks and nothing has worked, that my problem is either an OS issue (reinstall windows from scratch) or a hardware issue (replace a shorted or fried motherboard). I don't wish to do either. Although I am now preparing to back up all my data and reinstall windows, I thought I would ask for help first.

Please Help!!!:confused:

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.

Try the steps outlined here:

1. Right-click My Computer and select Properties
    2. Click Hardware
    3. Click Device Manager
    4. Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controller
    5. Right-click each USB device listed and select Uninstall
    6. Click OK to confirm removal of each device

Note: Repeat steps 5 and 6 until all devices under UBS Controller are removed

7. Shut down computer.
    CAUTION: Ensure that the Shut Down option is selected instead of Restart.
    8. Wait a few seconds and turn computer on. When it reboots you will see "Windows has detected new or added hardware"

Note: You will have to insert your Windows CD, if prompted.

These steps will refresh the USB ports.

Added Notes: 1) If your mouse is a USB you will have to use the keyboard to shut down your computer. 2) It would be wise to unplug everything from your USB ports EXCEPT your mouse and/or keyboard before you restart the computer to avoid Windows replicating any printers, scanners, digi-cams, etc. Once Windows has refreshed your USB controllers and ports, shut down again. reconnect, and restart.

3. Samsla

Samsla Thread Starter

:confused:Well, I wish that solution would work for me. Unfortunately, even though I have tried it multiple times since the problem began, it doesn't work at all. Is there anyone else who has dealt with the same problem and has any insight at all at what the problem is? Thanks.

4. ~Candy~

The other two options are in your first post ;)

5. Samsla

Samsla Thread Starter

So I guess I'm screwed, then?

6. ~Candy~

Well, you have to rule out hardware, so reinstalling windows would do that.

You could do a parallel installation to verify.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756816

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice