1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

All USB ports suddenly stopped working!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by madbadger, Sep 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madbadger

madbadger Thread Starter

On a previously fine PC, I noticed the usb cable for my Palm Pilot had fallen out (so that's why I couldn't connect to it!)

So, I foolishly plugged the usb cable in. The screen froze, had to press reset to reboot.

On rebooting my ISDN adaptor had a cross on it, indicating it wasn't enabled, it was IMPOSSIBLE to restart it. So I deleted it in device manager......it wouldn't delete "the device has failed to respond in a timely fashion".

Then I realised all USB connected peripherals were not responding, ie isdn adaptor & printer! Everything I've tried has failed, switched ports, cables, nothing is detected when a usb cable is plugged in. So I was stuck with no internet connection, until I reinstalled my old PCI modem. Please guys, any advice would be much appreciated. I'm concerned something I did plugging that cable in has fried all my usb ports on my mobo:(

MB

2. madbadger

madbadger Thread Starter

XP 1900+
    Win XP
    512 Mb RAM
    100G W Digital HD
    4 usb ports on ASUS A7V 266E Mobo

PS system restore hasn't helped, all usb still kaput!

3. madbadger

madbadger Thread Starter

Well seeing how interested you all are by my problem I thought I'd post an update;)

I formatted & reinstalled Win XP, and STILL no function from usb ports, only hardware attached is Geforce3 graphics card.

If i plug in a usb cable there's no response from windows at all.
    Has anyone else had similar problems, is there anybody out there?!?

MB

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/93718

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice