All wikipedia URLs redirect to Facebook URLs?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

EchoChamber

I have been rendered completely dumbfounded by a very recently encountered problem.

I was on facebook earlier tonight when I was told about a terrible film called Birdemic. My friend linked the wikipedia page through a comment. When I clicked it (It was definitely a link to wikipedia), I came across a "Server not found" page and upon closer inspection, instead of saying "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birdemic:_Shock_and_Terror" it brought me to "http://en.facebook.com/wiki/Birdemic:_Shock_and_Terror", which obviously doesn't exist. I tried going through a google search, which will do the same thing, and through the integrated search engine in Firefox, and everytime it would redirect me to the nonexistent en.facebook.com. Curiously, the Welcome page for wikipedia works, as does the mobile site (by changing it to en.m.wikipedia.org). I tried going to different wikipedia entries as well, but its the same problem. Every time I try to correct it in the URL bar, it will just change back.

If this is a virus, it is the most ridiculously trivial and mundane virus I have ever had, however it would also be the most confusing to me.

If it is not a virus, I have no idea what it could be. I have cleared my history, web cache, cookies, everything. In addition to Firefox, I also tried it in IE, to identical results. AVG scan is currently underway, 82%, no threats found.

Any ideas?

EDIT: For further clarification, this does not happen when I try it with my macbook on the same network, so I don't believe it's a router issue.

I have been rendered completely dumbfounded by a very recently encountered problem.

I was on facebook earlier tonight when I was told about a terrible film called Birdemic. My friend linked the wikipedia page through a comment. When I clicked it (It was definitely a link to wikipedia), I came across a "Server not found" page and upon closer inspection, instead of saying "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birdemic:_Shock_and_Terror" it brought me to "http://en.facebook.com/wiki/Birdemic:_Shock_and_Terror", which obviously doesn't exist. I tried going through a google search, which will do the same thing, and through the integrated search engine in Firefox, and everytime it would redirect me to the nonexistent en.facebook.com. Curiously, the Welcome page for wikipedia works, as does the mobile site (by changing it to en.m.wikipedia.org). I tried going to different wikipedia entries as well, but its the same problem. Every time I try to correct it in the URL bar, it will just change back.

If this is a virus, it is the most ridiculously trivial and mundane virus I have ever had, however it would also be the most confusing to me.

If it is not a virus, I have no idea what it could be. I have cleared my history, web cache, cookies, everything. In addition to Firefox, I also tried it in IE, to identical results. AVG scan is currently underway, 82%, no threats found.

Any ideas?

EDIT: For further clarification, this does not happen when I try it with my macbook on the same network, so I don't believe it's a router issue.
Have you tried reinstalling your browser?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Have you tried reinstalling your browser?
It's happening on 2 browsers so I think this will be a computer issue. Something is redirecting... not too sure if the host file will be doing this... hmm i willl mark this for security to look into this, you may have a rouge process that is causing this issue. But if you know how to check your HOST file, look into that and see if there is anything related to facebook or wikipedia.

Ent

Josiah
Trusted Advisor
I don't see how it could be a hosts file issue; the hosts file redirects a web address to an IP address, not to another web address. Edit: unless they redirect to the facebook IP... though that should show up in a HJT log anyway if that's the case.
I'd agree with Couriant, let the malware team take a look.
To help them help you, please follow the instructions in this thread and post the requested logs.
http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/943214-everyone-must-read-before-posting.html

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Forgive me I was running on no sleep, I should know better about the hosts file... it was the only thing I could think of...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online